Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
2,487 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hi,
a friend of mine currently has a mexiconn shooting stars model in their garden as a flow pot, it is totally sound in terms of body and neck, but it does need most new pads, (some higher up are still sealing fine)
i was wondering if it was worth rescuing? i could repad it myself.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member and Champion of the C-Me
2,057 Posts
Of course it needs rescuing from being a flower pot, far better as a hanging basket.......

But I was being facetious, I inherited one for a while, and it played OK - just didn't feel amazingly solid. But then I favour Martin's, and almost everything seems lightweight by comparison ! Go for it, complete waste for any instrument to be abused like that.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
2,487 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
ok, thanks for the advice. what sort of level instrument are they, intermediate/student?

·
Administrator
13,993 Posts
VERY much a student instrument, and not a great one at that. Iit has been discussed at length in the Conn forum, so I will leave it to you to read the particulars.

Suffice to say that if you weren't able to do the overhaul yourself, you would be upside down with this horn cost wise.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2007-
5,528 Posts
I have a very nice Mexiconn M-24 alto that plays pretty well, but is nothing special. I paid $150 for it without a neck and my son learned to play sax on it (with a FPB Moore neck).

But no sax made in the US should ever be a flower pot. It should be saved at all costs as long as it doesn't involve anything worse than committing a Class-C felony.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Man, I've got the same horn sitting right across the room from me... It hasn't gotten much play. A friend of mine who's into refurbishing saxophones sold it to me for like a hundred dollars. It worked fine for maybe a week, then it sorta fell apart. Can't even blow into it now ;>.>

·
Forum Contributor 2016, The official SOTW Little S
5,472 Posts
You would be better off just getting an entirely different saxophone instead. It would probably cost a lot for repairs. After getting it repadded, it might need some more work. Its not worth that much.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Oi vey, just stay away. My first ever saxophone was a MexiConn, and it was a piece of garbage. Intonation was terrible all over the horn. You looked at it funny and a rod would bend.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts