Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Production of saxophones made by Conn moved to Mexico in the sixties, correct? I also hear that some saxophones where still made in America during the sixties. Which saxes where they? Where the director models ever made in America?

·
Registered
249 Posts
MexiConn ?

I do not believe it was quite that early...maybe late 70's is a better bet. Some of the Conn production, started coming out of Nogales, Arizona. Which is still the u.s from the news i get. Anyone??

·
Banned
4,517 Posts
I think I may be correct. But you will get someone else to verify.
However I thought that Conn moved production down to New Mexico in the late 60's early 70's. Where the horn detoriated from their.

·
Administrator
13,985 Posts
Conn bought the BEST MANUFACTURING CO. of Nogales, AZ in late 1959. Production of the student lines (including the Director models) was moved there in 1960 or so. Therefore regarding the Director models specifically, from 1955 to 1960 or so, they were made in Elkhart, IN.

The "Artist" line of pro horns, unofficially known as the "Naked Lady" or "Lady Face" (with or without the engraving present) remained in production at the Elkhart, IN facilities right up to possibly 1970/1971, where it is alleged that a few models (especially 12Ms) were pieced together from spare parts at the Nogales factory.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
So would a '65 Director have been made in Elkhart or in Nogales?

Thanks for all the replies guys, I really appreciate it!

·
Administrator
13,985 Posts
saxo44 said:
So would a '65 Director have been made in Elkhart or in Nogales?

Thanks for all the replies guys, I really appreciate it!
Most likely Nogales AZ.

True so called "Mexiconns" (those Conn Student horns made across the border in the Sister town of Nogales, Mexico-and so marked) didn't start cropping up until 1969/70 or so.

The best of the Director horns (such as they are) are those made between 1955 and 1962 with the wire keyguards.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member/Technician
21,030 Posts
As I recall, the Conn mfg. stopped in late 70. I started in Elkhart in Dec. and Blessing, Gemeinhardt and others had Conn workers coming in for jobs. Sad time.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
2,487 Posts
i think someone should buy the Conn trade mark, track down the old craftsmen and, even if just for a one off, remake a series of GOOD pro saxes, like they used to, just to redeem the Conn name.
i know this seems a pretty undoable thing, but i am sure it can be done and, it should be.
if anyone can help me by telling me about who now ons the Conn name, how many old conn workers are still alive etc.

we could even run the company as a forum!!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts