Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Distinguished SOTW member/, Official SOTW Sister
19,368 Posts
....'cept Mexiconns aren't bad (having refurbished well over 100 of them).....
The tenor that my son-in-law bought from you is a danged nice playing/sounding horn.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2017
Picked up a sax in 2002 and here I am.
2,177 Posts
Wow, I wonder who was credited with the awful score for this video? Terrible until around 2:00 into the video.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2012
2,135 Posts
Wow, I wonder who was credited with the awful score for this video? Terrible until around 2:00 into the video.
I think that is the point. It starts raw and rough as honks and squeaks, then sound effects for the video, and ends with something refined. Kind like the process of building an instrument from raw materials. I thought it was pretty creative myself.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2016
18,512 Posts
I think that is the point. It starts raw and rough as honks and squeaks, then sound effects for the video, and ends with something refined. Kind like the process of building an instrument from raw materials. I thought it was pretty creative myself.
Astute, broooother.

·
2,177 Posts
I see what you’re saying but not my cup of tea. Just comes off as distracting and annoying, kind of like free jazz.

·
Grafton alto | Martin Comm III tenor
29,625 Posts
The soundtrack was great! What was wrong with it? I thought it went very well with the video. I especially thought the key noise worked well as sound design with the lacquering process.

·
2,177 Posts
Sorry Pete but just came off as noise to me. Chalk it up to personal taste.

·
29,625 Posts
Sorry Pete but just came off as noise to me. Chalk it up to personal taste.
No need to apologise, art is always down to personal taste IMO.

But did you watch it through to the end where the guy plays the finished instrument? was that noise? Granted it didn't sound great sound quailty but I think that could be down to the actual video sound compression.

I thought it was an intersting story being told from honks and bolps of the raw bits of metal process ending uo with somebody playing actual music on an actual instrument

·
2,177 Posts
No need to apologise, art is always down to personal taste IMO.

But did you watch it through to the end where the guy plays the finished instrument? was that noise? Granted it didn't sound great sound quailty but I think that could be down to the actual video sound compression.

I thought it was an intersting story being told from honks and bolps of the raw bits of metal process ending uo with somebody playing actual music on an actual instrument
Nope not noise beginning at around 2:00, as mentioned in my original comment.

·
29,625 Posts
Nope not noise beginning at around 2:00, as mentioned in my original comment.
But isn't that exactly the point - the soundtrack (or maybe sound design) is in sync with initiallyb raw metal evolving into a formed musical instrument. I see that as the whole point. So initially we would not want to have music that we recognise as conventional music, but maybe something raw, noisy, unformed and with little connection to conventional perceived notions of music as many people think of it.

·
Distinguished SOTW member/, Official SOTW Sister
19,368 Posts
Please note that it says SESAME STREET in the title.
It was not made for the more refined adult ear, but rather that of a 2/3-6/7 year old ear.
I'm sure those little people found the 'noise' fitting.

·
2,177 Posts
🤐

·
29,625 Posts
It was not made for the more refined adult ear, but rather that of a 2/3-6/7 year old ear.
I'm sure those little people found the 'noise' fitting.
As did I :)

But then the largest slice of income from my career has been writing music that 2/3-6/7 year olds like.

·
2,177 Posts
I no longer have a horse in this race but do like dogs and bananas.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts