Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Forum Contributor 2015, SOTW Better late than neve
4,273 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
In my current ebay listing ;
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dl...MESE:IT&viewitem=&item=220089271733&rd=1&rd=1

A question / comment was posted that my sax is a rare "Metro" model. I've not seen of such a thing have you?

"I believe this is one of the rare Metro models made for a few select NY jazz professionals such as Johnny Hodges. The neck was preferred for having more of a NY sound. I have a horn of the same vintage."

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
3,240 Posts
Nice horn and rare in the fact it has a new yorker neck instead of a micro-tuner but i haven't heard of a metro model but you learn something new everyday (and forget a few hundred things as well!!!!)
Dave

·
4,273 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Dave dix said:
Nice horn and rare in the fact it has a new yorker neck instead of a micro-tuner but i haven't heard of a metro model but you learn something new everyday (and forget a few hundred things as well!!!!)
Dave
So I guess the NY neck is the same thing?

·
Registered
6,450 Posts
I owned a Metro model 6M, it has this style of neck and the word Metro was stamped on the horn somewhere. Of the dozens of conn altos I have played this one (post Les Arbuckle overhaul) was the single loudest and most powerful of them all. Les agreed. I didn't care for the tone particularly and sold it to an experienced player who wrote me that he and all his sax buddies thought it was the loudest alto they had ever heard or played. He LOVED it!!

Although Conn themselves never used this particular appellation it nonetheless was adopted for general use by the public. The story I have heard is that the New York based players all ordered their 6M's sans microtuner and thus the name.

·
Administrator
13,995 Posts
"I believe this is one of the rare Metro models made for a few select NY jazz professionals such as Johnny Hodges. The neck was preferred for having more of a NY sound. I have a horn of the same vintage."
Interesting story, however everyone knows that after the late 1920's or so, Johnny Hodges switched to Bueschers, and played that brand for most of the rest of his career.

·
4,273 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Kritavi said:
I owned a Metro model 6M, it has this style of neck and the word Metro was stamped on the horn somewhere. Of the dozens of conn altos I have played this one (post Les Arbuckle overhaul) was the single loudest and most powerful of them all. Les agreed. I didn't care for the tone particularly and sold it to an experienced player who wrote me that he and all his sax buddies thought it was the loudest alto they had ever heard or played. He LOVED it!!

Although Conn themselves never used this particular appellation it nonetheless was adopted for general use by the public. The story I have heard is that the New York based players all ordered their 6M's sans microtuner and thus the name.
I just looked over the horn and don't see any Metro stamp. Any idea where I should be looking for it?

It is a very loud alto if that means anything.

·
Registered
6,450 Posts
I suspect that with your horn being around the cusp of the transitional era that it may not say Metro. I think it was up by the neck but I really can't remember for sure.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member/Forum Contributor 2009
1,286 Posts
Dear Sax is my Axe,

I have two photos in a book of swing-era photographs where Johnny Hodges in the early 30's is playing a 6M or Conn Tranny with the New York Style Neck.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member/Sax Historian
7,149 Posts
Conn offered this neck (which I'll call the "topside" neck) on 6Ms from 1932 to at least 1937 (most all trannys, altho I do own a 1937 6MVIII which has it). A different style of topside neck was offered on early Connqueror 26Ms.

It's not swappable with the underslung neck, because the octave systems on the horns are different. (The topside version is a lot simpler in design.)

What Conn didn't offer, at least not in their sales literature, was any choice (or any info at all) on the "M/Metro" or "N/National" necks. To this day nothing has come to light about the differences or the reason for the names. It doesn't seem to have anything to do with the type of octave lever, I don't think. I've seen various horns marked various ways or not marked at all.

The "Metro = New York" idea has possibilities, but as of now there's nothing to back it up - not even oral anecdote from anyone who was around then. I do have photos of the Jan Garber and Dick Jurgens reed sections using topside altos. Both bands were sweet music outfits based out of Chicago and definitely not striving for "New York tone."

Finally, I've seen one (and ONLY one) Conn tranny with a topside neck AND tuner. They'd make anything on order with payment upfront.

·
4,273 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Thanks for your input Paul. So if I understand you correctly, since the necks are not interchangable, the topside neck would indicate a Metro model?

·
Distinguished SOTW Member/Sax Historian
7,149 Posts
Not necessarily. I've seen the topside neck marked all ways (M, N, and VIII) - and unmarked.

Previous 2 messages were double posts due to server hiccup.

·
4,273 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
paulwl said:
Not necessarily. I've seen the topside neck marked all ways (M, N, and VIII) - and unmarked.
Well, I'm in the unmarked catagory unless I'm not looking at the right place on the horn. It does have the "M" in the serial number.

:dontknow:

·
3,240 Posts
M in the serial is STD for conn sax's , i would still call it a new yorker neck/ metro in the advert as the octave mechanism is correct
Dave

·
2,766 Posts
saxismyaxe said:
Interesting story, however everyone knows that after the late 1920's or so, Johnny Hodges switched to Bueschers, and played that brand for most of the rest of his career.
Hodges played the Conn in the 40s. Switched to the Buescher in the early 50s. In the 60s he went to a custom one-off Vito. (two-off actually). Frank Wess ownes one of Rab's Vitos.

·
4,273 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Dave dix said:
M in the serial is STD for conn sax's , i would still call it a new yorker neck/ metro in the advert as the octave mechanism is correct
Dave
So what do ya' know??? I guess I have a diamond in the rough :D I wonder if some famous player originally ordered this. How rare are these?

·
Distinguished SOTW Member/Technician
21,184 Posts
Paul, glad to see you back!
For a New Wonder horn, wouldn't a Pan-American neck be the same as a tunerless Conn neck?

1 - 20 of 21 Posts