Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
201 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am interested in method/technique studies written by jazz greats. Does anyone know of any? For example, i know Oliver Nelson has a pattern book, and Bergonzi has a bunch on the market.

Thanks.

Eflat

·
Registered
2,256 Posts
Eddie Harris the Intervallic concept and Yusaf Lateef's books are 2 of my favorites

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
6,862 Posts
Jackie McLean's Daily Warm-up Studies

·
Registered
201 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
These are great... thanks. I have McLeans and the Intervallistic Concept (1-3)

·
Registered
255 Posts
I would love to own the Eddie Harris books. The Oliver Nelson book is a very good one btw. B
I would love to own them too!!! But I already have so much material to study. I might get an early birthday present for myself though...

I've played some lines from the Oliver Nelson book and they sound very unmusical. I might not be playing them right. I would love to hear recordings of the patterns. IMO if you release a pattern book, transcriptions of cliche lines etc. you should include examples of the licks used in recordings, especially if you write a book about licks used by a famous artist.

·
Forum Contributor 2017
8,070 Posts
I would love to own them too!!! But I already have so much material to study. I might get an early birthday present for myself though...

I've played some lines from the Oliver Nelson book and they sound very unmusical. I might not be playing them right. I would love to hear recordings of the patterns. IMO if you release a pattern book, transcriptions of cliche lines etc. you should include examples of the licks used in recordings, especially if you write a book about licks used by a famous artist.
Nelson's book is not a book written about "licks" used by a famous artist, ie: Oliver Nelson. It was written by Oliver Nelson as a study guide to help you understand how to form your own licks. B

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
6,862 Posts

I agree about the Nelson patterns--they're brutal! He did, however, play some of them in his compositions. Viz

http://forum.saxontheweb.net/archive/index.php/t-41591.html

About your second point: you might have a look at Jerry Coker's Elements of the Jazz Language for the developing Improvisor. It covers several key ideas really well and provides actual clips to listen to. Really good book that doesn't get mentioned much on here--not sure why not.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts