Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

I have a YAS 62 coming up to a year old now. Every now and again when I'm playing my bottom notes (Bb and B) I hear a metallic vibrating sound. Its not particularly unpleasant or pleasant. This week as I stepped up to play at a gig, the same happened to my low F E and Eb keys...accompanied by the feeling that the instrument was in someway blocked.

Any ideas suggestions?

thanks

·
Registered
1,214 Posts
check all your keyguards and your rod screws on lower part of your horn. you probably have a screw loose. :)

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
you're right i do have a screw loose....but after checking and my sax its still only the one in my head.

Thanks for the advice...you got me thinkin about the problem in a new way...theres got to be somethin loose down there.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
12,707 Posts
Have you oiled your sax and serviced it well? Its good to go through it, clean, brush, oil and feel everything on a regular basis. Without oil sometimes the upper pinky table can have a vibration...or just about any spot.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Ooops I've never oiled it. I remember reading something about how easy it is to over oil your keys - so I've avoided it.

I guess its time to learn eh?

Thanks

·
Banned
5,336 Posts
The buzzing sounds I have experienced have come from:

Loose key guard screws - tighten with a screwdriver

Loose adjustable threaded felt bumper screws - unscrew and carefully open the slotted side with a screwdriver so that the screw fits snug again.

Loose or sloppy key rollers - remove the roller and rod, clean inside the roller with a pipe cleaner, clean the rod with a paper towel, apply brass tuning slide grease to the inside of the roller with a tooth pick, reassemble, wipe away excess grease.

Key pivot rods that are dry and need oiling usually don't contribute to the sound, but should be attended to anyway.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts