Distinguished SOTW Member
4,147 Posts
Someone didn't know what they had...

·
2,771 Posts
Martinman said:
Someone didn't know what they had...
A really, really loud, blatty plastic tenor mouthpiece?

I have one, and I love it, but not enough to play it in public!

·
4,147 Posts
dirty said:
A really, really loud, blatty plastic tenor mouthpiece?

I have one, and I love it, but not enough to play it in public!

Come on, you don't play in marching band or anything?:twisted:

I played an M11 once and it was controlable.

·
Registered
730 Posts
My M9 served me well for a couple years for the 15-20 dollars I paid for it. After I put in a lot of time on it I was actually getting pretty good tones on it. After I started playing my refaced Quantum more.. it was time for the Metalite to go then.

It was good for marching band though, if by good you mean 1 tenor sax sticking out through everything. But I thought it was funny, considering my dislike for marching band.

·
2,771 Posts
Martinman said:
Come on, you don't play in marching band or anything?:twisted:

I played an M11 once and it was controlable.
It's controllable, but it's just more work than I think it's worth to keep it under control. Of course, I play a Link most of the time and a Berg /2 chamber when I really want to get bright, so the Metalite is just a little excessive for me.

·
2,319 Posts
I can't relate to the comments about loud, blatty, and uncontrollable myself. I find the Metallites to be not as loud and as bright as my new style Brilhart or my Dukoff D7 but more like my Berg 130/2-more of a nice loud but still dark enough to be pleasant sounding. A few days ago I had my wife give me some impressions of how my mouthpieces sounded compared to each other, and she described the sound of the M11 as pleasant sounding and having better lower notes than the Brilhart, a Ponzol M2 and more like the Berg 130/2. I agreed with her observations. I think a player can get a Metallite to sound like he wants with the right choice of reeds and embouchure control. Recordings of gigs I've played bear all this out. I once walked into a bar where a new guy was playing. My first thought was he sounded just like Jr. Walker. I asked him what he was playing and he said a #11 Metallite. Again, it's the player, not the mouthpiece. $5.00 for a Metallite is an excellent purchase.I payed $32.00 for mine and, compared to lots of stuff out there, I think it is worth 3 times that amount.

·
4,147 Posts
dirty said:
It's controllable, but it's just more work than I think it's worth to keep it under control. Of course, I play a Link most of the time and a Berg /2 chamber when I really want to get bright, so the Metalite is just a little excessive for me.

I just think it sounds better for me than most high baffle pieces because of the special thing with the tip.

·
2,771 Posts
Martinman said:
I just think it sounds better for me than most high baffle pieces because of the special thing with the tip.
Yeah, I think that's what makes that really high baffle manageable for me. I'm still curious to try a good Dukoff, though. Someday...

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2008,
3,891 Posts
dirty said:
Yeah, I think that's what makes that really high baffle manageable for me. I'm still curious to try a good Dukoff, though. Someday...
Find one of the Vibracom plastic ones, those are great. the facing is more stable and usually better than the metal ones. Ive got one refaced by EZ, and its extremely easy to control

·
2,960 Posts
dirty-you havnt lived till you have played a really good dukoff-finding one is another matter

·
4,147 Posts
dirty said:

I have a MOJO Dukoff that is good except for a long facing and the high baffle (I think thats the problem, but I don't know or care since I dont' use it). My palm keys sound terrible, but everything else is good.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts