Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
369 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What up? What is the difference that players perceive between the Yanagisawa HR MPs compared to the Yani metal MPs? This is for alto saxophone. I have yet to play a Yani metal MP. I love my Yani HR 5 that came with my A990 when I bought it in 1993, but I have out grown it considerably. It fells like blowing trying to blow **** through a rats ***. Hah! What should the tinbre changes be if I switch to a Yani HR 7~8 or the yani metal 7~9??? All suggestions welcome. Especially the funnyones!!!!! But seriously can you tell me what MP I should buy?!?!?!

·
Registered
369 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Minus the obligatory "You have to try them all with your horn to truly know what you like." BS. (I will try quite a few. Thank you very little.)

·
Registered
1,799 Posts
Besides the material, the internal designs are completely different. The metal pieces have a small square chamber and the baffle/floor profile is higher too. The metal pieces are quite good but they will play on the bright side, especially in comparison with your HR piece.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
14,287 Posts
I once bought a Yanagisawa metal mouthpiece for alto. I then threw it into a trade deal to sweeten the pot. For me, the metal Yanagisawa was useless. It was loud and harsh and I was unable to control the squeaking- it chirped whenever I relaxed my embouchure. I also have plastic/HR (whatever) Yanagisawa alto and soprano mouthpiece that came with their new horns (#5's). The HR's played much better for me than did the metal. But none are my mouthpiece of choice.

I recently tried a larger tip-opening for the HR on soprano. Still not good for me. A distant relative loves his Yanagisawa 7 on soprano. There is no accounting for how one will react to a certain mouthpiece, even if you didn't want to read that. DAVE

·
Registered
369 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Right on. Thanks for the info. I am currently playing a metal piece that I modded. It's a Dukoff style baffle with a smaller chamber. I opened up the chamber, lowered the baffle a wee bit and opened the tip about .010". Still a work in progress but it is sounding and playing very well for my sound concept.
SOTW members rock!!

·
Registered
369 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I am really digging the metal piece on my alto. There is a clarity that the HR seems to lack and the Yani A990 lights up with the larger tip opening. This horn really loves a lot of air!

·
Distinguished Member, Forum Contributor 2015-2016
2,647 Posts
I have a yani metal 7 about a .090 tip if your interested .it plays very well but I all ready have enough mouthpieces pm me if you would like it. thanks jd

1 - 8 of 8 Posts