Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
448 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
For $169 ($30 off msrp) I can now upgrade my Yamaha tenor. Probably worth it to "build my preferred sound" right?

https://www.prowinds.com/merchantmanager/product_info.php?products_id=3244
Yamaha Saxophone Thumbrest/Finger Button Set - [YAC SXTREST-SET]
For Saxophone players who are seeking for a different sound option, Yamaha now offers a new option which can be used in different styles of music. The set of gold brass thumb hook and thumb rest (gold lacquer finish) can be used to customize your saxophone and build your preferred sound. It can be attached to ALL models from soprano to baritone (except YAS-23/YTS-23).

·
Registered
253 Posts
I've got a pair of fuzzy dice for sale, only $99, that will do about as much to the tone as the thumb rest, if you hang them from the neck.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
1,552 Posts
If I could upgrade my Chu with one of these and add precious stones, could I send my sax to the gig to play itself?

·
Registered
448 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
did I mention it includes free shipping?

·
Registered
448 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
A Metal Hook will totally change the resonance of the horn!... ...

There was a lot of sarcasm in that
I'm still waiting for them to standardize a punctuation mark for sarcasm. In the meantime, I guess I should've used a emoticon. Oh well.

The things that blow me away are:
(1) this is an actual Yamaha add-on package
(2) Yamaha is actually claiming it will change your sound
(3) Yamaha's MSRP is $200?!?! TWO HUNDRED?? For those two little chunks of lacquered brass?? You can find a decent YAS-23 for barely twice that!

·
Distinguished SOTW Technician
3,112 Posts
Why don't Yamaha just fit the metal thumbhook as standard on their pro and Custom series saxes like they used to do with the old 61 series saxes? Personally I don't see the point in aftermarket metal LH thumb buttons or the marketing claims that go with them.

You can get a metal thumbhook that fits Yamahas from Sax Alley (SA-104) for a lot less than $169 - $40 to be percise: http://www.saxalley.com/sa-104-fits-yamaha-models.html

Whatever the claims companies make for metal thumbhooks and thumb buttons adding whatever to the sound is neither hear nor there (or at all), but if you want a thumbhook that doesn't bend or flex while playing (or break) then you're best with a metal one for the reason of strength alone.

While they may not be exactly like the old 61 series metal thumbhooks, the Sax Alley ones are very comfortable and have a lot of room on the inside curve which means they won't dig into the back of your thumb. I bought three of them specially to go on my 62 soprano, 875EX alto and 875 tenor. My bari already has an old 61 series metal one (I swapped it with one on a 61 tenor that was up for sale years ago) which was a good find once straightened out (as it had been flettened), polished and relacquered.

·
Registered
147 Posts
The Music Medic metal thumbhook is also another great option, and only costs $35. It is incredibly comfortable, much more so than the stock Yamaha thumbrest that I had been using on my 875 soprano. It will fit nearly any saxophone that has an adjustable thumbrest. For that price, you can't beat it.

·
3,112 Posts
I might get a MusicMedic one for tenor as it has the plate on the right side to stop thumbs straying over the edge.

·
Registered
1,796 Posts
Metal thumb rests are way more resonant than plastic, but if you strip the lacquer, they're even better! :twisted:

·
Distinguished SOTW Member/Contributor 2010
1,502 Posts
PM Woodwinds will fix you up with a Selmer metal thumbhook for a Yamaha for about 30 bucks. More comfy and better looking.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
6,831 Posts
The Music Medic metal thumbhook is also another great option, and only costs $35. It is incredibly comfortable, much more so than the stock Yamaha thumbrest that I had been using on my 875 soprano. It will fit nearly any saxophone that has an adjustable thumbrest. For that price, you can't beat it.
Music Medic also sells the mounting plate too, so it can be retrofitted to saxes w/out the adjustable rests. I have one on my 1926 King Bari. The best mod I ever did to that sax!

The whole thing installed plus the thumbrest and mounting bracket came to around $75! Well under Yamaha price!

·
3,112 Posts
Maybe Yamaha will in time as it seems the other big names have either gone to fitting metal thumbhooks across the board or on some of their top models. Selmer have been using the most uncomfortable plastic thumbhooks since the mid '60s and fit metal ones to a few of their saxes whereas Yanagisawa have gone to using them on all their saxes which was a welcome change as their plastic ones weren't much cop either.

Yamaha used to have the best designed metal thumbhooks and then later a large plastic one with plenty of room replaced that, but in the early '80s they changed the design to a slightly smaller one which is still being used now. It doesn't have the room the older ones had but is definitely a much better one compared to what Selmer and Yanagisawa fitted. I put up with it for around 6 years on my bari and made the switch to a metal one which was great as it didn't flex.

One of Yamaha's brochures says somehwere about the thumbhook being made from ABS as it's soft yet flexible. I think the thumbhook is something that shouldn't be flexible as you want the sense of security - especially on straight sopranos when played without a sling as it can lead to disaster if it breaks. The thumbhook I took off my 62 soprano had several cracks in it which seriously compromised it's integrity so it had to be changed for something much better.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2016
4,881 Posts
I actually have no problem nor complaint with neither my Yamaha nor my Yanagisawa thumb hooks.

·
Registered
238 Posts
The way to go for the best sound is WOOD! You need a wooden thumb hook if you want the proper resonating frequency in harmony with the cane reed. But if you use plastic reeds, the plastic hook is fine.....

1 - 20 of 28 Posts