Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
190 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recently asked about mouthpieces for my tenor for concert band, but after trying a few, I think I'd like to stick with metal (my jazz/standard pieces for alto and tenor are metal, and I prefer the mouth fit).

I don't know if the appropriate mouthpieces for classical and "concert band" are the same, but I'm in a concert band, so looking for something appropriate for that. I currently have a Jody Jazz DV 7* tenor, and it's probably to loud and bright for the concert band (plus, I SUCK, and don't want to stand out).

ideas?

thanks!

·
Registered
199 Posts
I play in a Wind ensemble, and every season someone asks me why I'm using a metal mouthpiece. Like I'm some kind of degenerate. In the spring the conductor asked me what I was using (a Link 8*), and then made a big deal in front of everyone and asked me to get something more like a 3. So i wound up with a Vandoren TL3 and a bad case of mouthpiece GAS.
Last week I used a metal Wanne, but will probably go back to the Vandoren. Classical pieces really do work better in this setting, and you won't get a lot of annoying questions.
The Vandorens aren't too pricey and they're easy to play.

·
Registered
887 Posts
Billy Kerr explained once in a masterclass he uses a metal Link on tenor for every kind of setting (jazz combos, classical quartet, Broadway), but it's a relatively closed one, something like 5*. So that's an option. Selmer makes a metal tenor mouthpiece they label "Jazz," but frankly I thought it played much like their HR S80.
If it's the shape of the mouthpiece you prefer, you might like one of Runyon's plastic pieces like the 88. Their profile is very narrow, like a metal piece. I've never tried one on tenor, though.

While I'm a big believer in the "player's voice" as opposed to the mouthpiece's, I'm willing to bet you'd do yourself and your bandmates a favor by finding a more suitable mouthpiece for concert band than that DV.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member/Technician
21,149 Posts
I would ditch the metal and go with a Brilhart Ebolin of similar. You may want to look at the Rico Graftonite in a B chamber like a B5 or B7. Cheap at under $20 and these are quite good for all types of playing. Worth having for variety.

·
Registered
923 Posts
The metal Selmer pieces work quite well in a concert band setting - I used one on alto in a wind ensemble for a while, and it blended very well.

·
Registered
91 Posts
I recently exchanged a Link for a Selmer Classic Metal D here on SOTW.
I have loaned it to a colleague who plays tenor in a Wind Orchestra setting and the sound and timbre are perfect for this situation.
I doubt I'll ever see this mpc back in my collection!

·
Registered
190 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks a lot guys; very useful information.

I think I'll wait for either a metal Vandoren V16, Selmer metal C*/D or closed-ish Selmer "Jazz" model to pop up used here or on ebay. Those are quite pricey pieces new!

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
3,189 Posts
i second the metal selmer -i used one in comm band for a long time-worked great

·
Registered
190 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thanks.

If anyone is still reading this, do you think a Yani metal MP might be okay (since I have a Yani sax)? If so, what facing?

·
Registered
713 Posts
I've used my Jody Jazz DVNY in a wind ensemble setting, very dark, works well. A Link STM with a small tip opening (5*ish) should also produce good results.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
5,475 Posts
I've used my Jody Jazz DVNY in a wind ensemble setting, very dark, works well. A Link STM with a small tip opening (5*ish) should also produce good results.
+1 for the Link STM. I have a 6* that is my go-to piece. I play on occasion in some small wind ensembles. These people would tell me if I don't blend in or overpower the flute and clarinet. It hasn't happened yet. <keeps fingers crossed>

·
SOTW Administrator
26,243 Posts
Why would someone want a brighter tenor sound that you would get from a more close tip link STM? If you need a closed tip for control, then get a piece with little or no rollover.

·
Registered
713 Posts
I like a closed tip for more articulation control (just a personal preference, probably due to past experiences). I don't notice much brightness when going with a closed ti STM, but again that's just my experience.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member/Technician
21,149 Posts
When I played wind ensemble tenor, I used a Link HR 5*. Recently I played a BARI Esprit that was almost identical and cost about $15 as I recall. Another one that I have is a Meyer 6M for tenor and it would be a great classical piece.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts