Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Distinguished SOTW Coffee Guru
38,889 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I’ve just seen a Metal tarogato being offered on ebay.

I have never seen this before and it is an instrument of relevance for a collector, I am no sure that it would be for a player. It comes from Romania (the seller is there) and that probably means that it was made at Arta Guban’s factory.

It has a double octave key and 5 rings witha mechanics based on the simple system clarinet.

The auction price is rather high for an instrument of this quality but perhaps considered its rarity it will sell.

·
Registered
1,943 Posts
I can't find the listing. Is there any indication of when it was made? (not that I am in a position to buy it).

Why are they so crazy expensive?

·
38,889 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
it’s on German ebay

https://www.ebay.de/itm/Metall-TARO...015573?hash=item3faa3c4295:g:upoAAOSwfbpbjEsN

This is not insanely expensive and but it is an instrument of limited quality ( from what I can see) and seen the location, probably made in Romania.

Tarogatos are of a very limited interest and circulation and are made in very limited amounts, therefore prices reflect all this.

How many tarogatos in a year do you think that any maker sells?

The best modernized tarogato that I have ever seen is made by a Romanian maker Nicolae Sava who makes two kinds of tarogatos one with Boehm clarinet mechanics and the other with soprano sax mechanics , both with single automatic octave key.

This is his address

Mobil: 0744/347.325
E-mail: [email protected]

One of his tarogatos (see them in both versions soprano sax and clarinet mechanics) should cost around €3000

http://www.unpret.ro/files/oferte/90/d/vand-taragot-sava-cu-978484.jpg

His work is superb. He is also a very accomplished player but in the typical style used in traditional music.

·
Forum Contributor 2017
7,526 Posts
That's crazy. There was a pawn shop I used to frequent because they had 10,000 instruments of all sorts. They had piles literally piles 4 foot high of nothing but saxophones from 1800s to 1950ish and they had one of these metal tarogoto's but didnt even know what it was until now. T

thanks for sharing

·
38,889 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
cheers, unfortunately these pawnshops (with piles and piles of saxophones) no loger exist and have been raided years ago by shop’s scouts or pickers who bought the lot... but you never know, keep looking!:whistle:

Years ago I am sure I saw a “saxophone" made of a horn (with mechanics applied to it) at a shop in town, Müller, where they used to have strange instruments every now and again. It appeared in very good shape and looked almost new. Pity I didn’t try it or enquire about it.
To this day I regret it. I have seen and played a few Tarogatos and I would love to have a bass tarogato after I bought myself a Jim Schimdt saxophone.

See a tarogato orgy here

·
Registered
122 Posts
I had no idea these were desirable or had value in the modern market. A former client of mine offered to sell me a clarinet-keyed one for $100 a few years back...looks like I'm calling him up!
Would you use a soprano mp for one or a special mp?

·
38,889 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Don’t set your expectations too high, for all you know it may be a split romanian made instrument irreparably out of tune with double octave key Tarogato....

Tarogatos have their own mouthpieces since they normally have a clarinet-like cork.

But you can make your own mouthpiece from a soprano piece.

See video (in French with English subtitles)

·
Registered
Tenors: TM Custom; MkVI 96k and 124k
189 Posts
Great sound! I feel my GAS stirring up.

Milandro, Where in Hungary was that festival?

·
38,889 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I suppose you are referring to Scott Robinson’s video?

I think it was in Bánk-to
Víziszínpad ( just looked it up really, I don’t speak or read Hungarian)

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hello. I am seller of nice metalic tarogato on eBay.. i had only 4 pcs in last 5 years these instruments are very rare even here.can be found on google eBay history or pinterest.. i think was made in Timișoara , one piece straight , two pieces And 3 pieces tarogatos.most expensive was tarogato in 3 pieces old stamped stowasser bohm.1550€ sold on eBay.de the one listed plus well but need a silver or chrome plating.. regardz from RO.Adi’

1 - 10 of 10 Posts