Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am lost in the long dark tunnel of searching for a mouthpiece. I have looked at a few different metal mouthpieces and was wondering what you guys used. Please include the size of the mouthpiece and what kind of sound you get out of it. Thanks!

Here are some I have been looking at:

Berg Larsen
Otto Link
Meyer Metal

·
Distinguished SOTW Member/Forum Contributor 2009
7,901 Posts
I use a Link sometimes and I sound like me on it. I sound like me on all my mouthpieces.

·
Distinguished SOTW Coffee Guru
40,355 Posts
Brancher tenor J 27 (107) gives an ample pallet if you are prepared to explore it, from lush subtones to edgy focussed funky (not normally my cup of tea).......

But this is a tenor.......

One of the the funkiest players that I know plays on a link where everybody else sounds spread, it is not the equipment per se, is what you do with it and that changes with every player.

·
Banned
1,263 Posts
I think among those you'll have the most success with the metal Link on alto. They have a much warmer tone than that of the Meyer and Berg, both of which have larger, longer, and higher baffles. The Link affords you the benefit of the punchy rollover baffle combined with a nice big chamber. I refaced one recently to see what it would play like for myself and also smoothed out the rough unfinished areas of the chamber to give it a more free-blowing and clear tone. Here's a recording of what it sounded like for me, it's a more spread and warmer tone that what you hear from your typical Meyer (if I had to describe it in comparison to a Meyer): https://soundcloud.com/marantz-mouthpiece-work/stm-link-alto-081

It's actually for sale if you want it.

Anyway have a nice day,
Matt

·
Registered
210 Posts
I play sterling silver sakshama double ring on alto that he makes.. By far the best metal mouthpiece I have played on alto size .80.
Very versitle piece with a full warm sound. I have no desire to really try another mouthpiece I am very content. To me this mouthpiece has soul in it and a clarity that is perfect. It just sings. For what ever reason it makes me play more melodically. I guess I feel the mouthpiece isn't in my way just foeels like it belongs. I play vandoren java red pack. And a saxxas ligature. I have a custom ligature that was hand made that makes the mouthpiece a lot brighter and funkier. I didn't think a lig made that much different but this one in particular made a big difference in the sound. Both are highly desired just a little bit different flavor. But for me I find that java red pack plays great on link pieces. Tenor or alto.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member/Logician
26,707 Posts
When I was about 15 years old and didn't know any better, I too wanted a metal mouthpiece on alto. I spent more than twenty years after that on a Level Air doorstop. I wouldn't make metal a priority, and especially those models mentioned; which are not commonly seen on altos.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
When I was about 15 years old and didn't know any better, I too wanted a metal mouthpiece on alto. I spent more than twenty years after that on a Level Air doorstop. I wouldn't make metal a priority, and especially those models mentioned; which are not commonly seen on altos.
Thanks. I wasn't exactly about to 'buy' one, I am just searching for more information in future. I am quite happy with the one I have now. Maybe I need to stick with Hard Rubber though.

·
Registered
300 Posts
I've played a few metal alto mouthpieces and never really loved any of them. I think I like the feel of hard rubber, probably because of the slighter larger size compared to metal. Of the three brands you listed, all are more commonly found in HR. I still have a Meyer style mouthpiece and an Early Babbitt Otto Link Tone Edge that work really well for my sound concept.

If you are quite happy with your current mouthpiece, don't even start looking at the many, many, many different choices out there. Trust me. If you start trying to find something better than what you have, you could end up on a long and painful journey. If you get to a point where your mouthpiece no longer meets your needs, then look for something different.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member/Technician
21,148 Posts
I think metal is OK on tenor but I rarely find an alto player that has any success with them. If you want bright and icy, maybe try a Jody or similar rather than metal. in the early 60s I tried a Link, owned a Berg and had a little success with a Selmer Metal Jazz but found that Hard Rubber really gave more vibrance and fullness in my sound that lead playing demanded. Try a Rico Metalite (cheap) and you may like the sound without buying meta.
Just one person's opinion!

·
40,355 Posts
well my comments were about my tenor piece.

However there are several great alto players on metal mouthpieces.

Piet Noordijk ( recently passed) on Berg Larsen and Benjamin Herman on Otto Link are definitely two of them.

Must be a Dutch thing........

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
14,348 Posts
Once again . . . most everyone plays mouthpiece's differently. Because one works good for me (and gives me a certain sound, which I cannot and will not attempt to describe), doesn't mean you will experience the same results. They just don't work the same for everyone. I have metal mouthpieces for soprano and alto, but do not use them. I know a world-class player who loves his STM Links on all of his saxophones, sop to tenor but I have an exactly opposite reaction to them. Mouthpiece recommendations are highly suspect in my opinion. DAVE

·
40,355 Posts
............Mouthpiece recommendations are highly suspect in my opinion. DAVE
Oh well! If we could do without any mouthpiece recommendation SOTW would look amazingly empty both of forum posts and of mouthpiece involved members.

Now, how about saxophone and relative paraphernalia recommendations? :)

Incidentally, before comments like these are forbidden.........I like playing my Ponzol M2 on alto (although I don’t play as much alto as I should)

·
Banned
1,263 Posts
Logan Richardson, Loren Stillman, John Coltrane, Sonny Stitt, and Charlie Parker are among those who have had success with metal alto mouthpieces. Coltrane can be heard playing a metal Link on alto on various little-known recordings from the mid 1950's. Logan Richardson has my favorite alto sound of any alto player out there nowadays, and is playing a metal Jody Jazz. It's a very cool flavored sound.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
14,348 Posts
milandro: You are right. How silly of me. So, because I play a Brilhart Ebolin 3* on all of my altos, I think the OP should give up the metal mouthpiece thought (because I've never found a metal mouthpiece that I like but I have some), and instead go with my choice, the Brilhart.

And, when I do use metal on my altos, the sound I get is offensively loud with a lot of edge in the tone, so if that's what the OP is looking for, get a Runyon Jaguar #10. There, that should fill everyone's bill. DAVE

·
Registered
98 Posts
FWIW I use my selmer Jazz e on my alto and the sound just burns out my horn the HR is soo much easier to control and get almost as bright if you push it

·
Registered
210 Posts
I also play a brilhart HR alto piece with hard rubber on shank refaced be freedie Gregory. So I have one great HR and one great metal. The sterling silver that sakshama did for me that I posted earlier

I guess in writing this again just because almost every alto metal piece I have played has been harsh or just bright for smooth jazz. But this double ring piece is just as warm as my brilhart. Just like soprano I liked hr but got a sakshama post bop metal that is warm and perfect And my friend has a lawton 8*bb soprano that is amazing as well. The only two metal pieces I have ever played that sounded great on soprano. Out of the pieces I tried.

So basically I guess if u want a metal and get a great one it is awesome. If not harsh.
If u get a hard rubber that is great then it's special as well.

But out of my not really great opinion lol I feel that there are more options of great HR pieces for alto then metal.
Which I like cause i have less choices I have to try out from.

So I stick with freedies brilhart and sakshama double ring alto.

·
Banned
1,263 Posts

·
Registered
174 Posts
+1 for a VINTAGE otto link I play on a master link and its pretty awesome, word of advise if you buy one is get a second neck for your alto if you go back and forth between mouthpieces since the otto link is a small mouthpiece and crushes my cork.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts