Sax on the Web Forum banner
1 - 20 of 66 Posts

·
VENDOR "Innovation over imitation"
16,213 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys!

I have no idea how to set up a post as a poll, so I would just like your opinions.
I had done this years ago when I first put out my metals and it was about 60/40 pro biteplate.

Today though, there are way more metal mouthpieces out there without bite plates, so as I prepare make my new metal mouthpieces, I would like to take a poll and see how people feel:

1. I prefer having a bite plate

2. It doesn’t matter if there’s a bite plate.

Please respond with choice 1 or 2.

Thank you.

·
Registered
731 Posts
Re: Metal mouthpieces——> BITEPLATE OR NO BITEPLATE??? Please respond

2 - doesn't matter. I assume it's cheaper/easier to do without, so would prefer if it can get passed on to the buyer.

·
Registered
3,397 Posts
2. for me.

Here is a suggestion: you could ship a couple tooth patches with it, kind of like Theo’s pieces that come with one installed but they are user replaceable.

·
VENDOR "Innovation over imitation"
16,213 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Keep em coming—-thank you all so far for your suggestions and stating your preferences.

If I don’t do a bite plate, I can definitely include a tooth patch.

·
TOTM administrator
Tenor: Eastman 52nd St, Alto: P. Mauriat 67RDK, Soprano: Eastern Music Curvy
6,393 Posts
2 for me as well. All my tenor pieces have had them, but I still use a patch and don't need it.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2015-
34,573 Posts

·
Registered
3,454 Posts
I'm with Dr. G. I prefer a biteplate. I do use a patch, but prefer the "tooth" of a nice biteplate. Suggestions for material:
1) Hard rubber
2) Dental acrylic
3) Hard rubber

·
Registered
2,372 Posts
I took in more mouthpiece past the biteplate to see how it felt. As I suspected, it was very uncomfortable biting down on hard, slick metal. I didn't even know there was such a thing as a metal mouthpiece with no biteplate.

Regarding patches, whether hard plastic or soft rubber, I don't like those either. There's something about the (lack of) texture and softness that I don't care for at all. If no biteplates and patches are the wave of the future, I'm hanging onto my current mouthpiece forever.

·
Premium Member
1,952 Posts
Prefer a bite plate though I use a rubber patch in addition. Those metal Classics are going to be something!

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
8,275 Posts
Omitting the bite plate insert could save the maker quite a bit on a mouthpiece. It also eliminates a very weak area with very close tolerances, making future modifications iffy without breaking through to the bite plate. Finally, the mouthpiece might be more resonant without that composite insert. But to the question, I guess I don't care if the mouthpiece has one or not because I always use a patch even on a hard rubber or Delrin mouthpiece - partly to protect my teeth from the metal, partly to protect the mouthpiece from my teeth and partly to give my teeth 'purchase' on the mouthpiece since I learned to not bite. I have noticed this new breed of mouthpieces without bite plates but this is the first time I have thought about it.

·
Forum Contributor 2016-17
511 Posts
Always use a patch, doesn't matter to me.

·
Registered
725 Posts
1. It makes no sense since I always use a patch, but a biteplate pretty much has to be there for me to consider it boutique, custom, and hand finished. All metal pieces seem like they could have been spit out of a cnc machine. This is all an emotional response since none of that makes sense, but there it is.

1 - 20 of 66 Posts