Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
The most prolific Distinguished SOTW poster, Forum
27,650 Posts
Actually, I've been curious about them myself. Several summers ago I was at a jazz workshop in Italy and a woman played a Keilwerth alto with a metal Meyer and she sounded great. In combo and big band, she had a fairly traditional sound but when she had a solo in big band that was a bit more funk oriented, she turned on the steam and it brightened right up. I've been curious about that ever since. I hope you get some good responses.

·
Registered
184 Posts
Well, I've got a metal meyer 8J. It was my main piece for about two months, and it's a solid piece, warm and smooth tone, especially in the middle register. Yes Gary, I've found it to be able to sound very near to my rubber 5M when trying for lead alto, but it can also certainly be pushed, albeit not too far (that may just be me). I'd say overall, it's a much more direct sound than a rubber 5M (with lots more volume), but nowhere near the likes of say a dukoff power chamber. I've found it to be rather reed picky, and too bright/buzzy of a reed can make it extremely harsh; I actually ended up playing vandoren traditionals on it. The lig that comes with it gets the job done, but is nothing special.

To tell you the truth though, this was an outstandingly unspectacular piece for me. I'm actually leaning towards selling it in the near future, but that doesn't mean you shouldn't try it out/get one. I'm not a metal kind of guy, and after the purchase of my soloist F, my mouthpiece hunt will be on hold for quite a while.

If you have any more questions, just ask, I know I'm not a great reviewer.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
cool man. well I'm waiting for my 7j and hopefully it'll be what I'm looking for. I'm finding the beechler custom to have too much of an edge for me and the hr meyer's a little too dark. thanks for ur responses

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2007-
5,528 Posts
I got my son a metal Meyer 8J back when he was in jazz band. It sounded kind'a bright as advertised. But to play in tune, it had to be pulled way out on my son's YTS-62II. It's the only mouthpiece we tried on that horn that acted like this.

·
Distinguished Member, Forum Contributor 2012-2015
5,880 Posts
I owned a Metal Jazz 6J for a while. It had a very nice, deep, velvety, dark tone, especially when I used Vandoren ZZ reeds. I didn't keep it because I was looking for a brighter sound, but I really enjoyed that piece.

·
Registered
1,045 Posts
I found the Meyer metal to have a sort of nondescript bland sound when I played one in university. I had a chance to buy it cheap but I sold it after a month to buy a Lawton for $75 (Wish I'd held on to that one)

1 - 8 of 8 Posts