Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1,453 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just wondering if anyone has bought an LR II (metal) recently and is experiencing any plating wear already. Or, if not wear, any obvious oxidization(?) AKA Green Stuff. By recently, I mean within the last couple of years, when Fred started putting biteplates on his mouthpieces.

I have an older one (I got one from saxofoonwinkel, well before they were widely available in the US). I believe that was around 2007 when they first came out? The table has some green pitting that normally means brass oxidation, but the plating looks to be fairly intact. The green stuff looks like it's eating the plating over time...the bottom of the table where the end of the heel of the reed sits is the worst affected, and "chunks" have come off.

The sound and response are still ok, but was wondering what is going on.

picture attached...you can see the green areas, they're pretty obvious. You can also see the plating has pitted. In particular, look at the top corners (this is the bottom of the table).

IMAG0145.jpg

·
Registered
2,121 Posts
the plating wore off eposing the brass to oxygen which is why it goes green. nothing to worry about at all. you could get it replated if you really wanted but it has no effect other than cosmetic

·
Registered
1,453 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
yes, but it doesn't look like bare brass. I used to use an Old Hollywood Dukoff that has a bare brass table (it's been refaced) and it didn't oxidize like this...my reeds did have a tendency to turn green if I leave them on, but the table didn't suffer from pitting and green spots like this Lebayle has).

I read on Steve's (Nefertiti) review comments that other people experienced this. I was wondering if anyone else around here has also had their plating turn yet. It seems not.

·
Registered
159 Posts
The green stuff is known as verdigris - and, as far as I know, it's toxic. So, I would have he piece replated.

Regards Bo

·
Registered
1,453 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
My Hollywood Dukoff never developed it, even though the table was bare brass...which is why I thought it was weird that the Lebayle would develop it (since it's about 50 years newer and still plated...mostly). I do keep the reed on the mpc, but usually the reed is dry. It's only wet if I'm not done playing. I also wash the mpc out periodically (to prevent calcium buildup inside).

1 - 8 of 8 Posts