Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
466 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I m in the market for a new metal jazz tenor piece. I play mainly in combos but a few big bands a little funk/rock. I like the brilharts I have play but they don't make a jazzy metal piece only a more rock on (level air) any suggestion. Budget $300 or less.
-

·
Registered
247 Posts
Look for a Lawton-7BB-7*BB-8BB These are great playing pieces! Extremely bright and have awesum altissimo! Check Ebay every day!

·
Banned
150 Posts
Please don't say jazzy...It implies someone that knows nothing about jazz but wants people to feel they "understand" jazz. If your name implies a fondness of sonny rollings then you can try something similar to his set up with a very open 130/2 berg larsen. if you don't dig open mouthpieces forget about it though, they are hard to control.

·
Distinguished SOTW Coffee Guru
38,816 Posts
Man! One can go on forever rallying the whole sax playing community on a topic like this where everybody chips in their two cents and all you will end up with is a list of names and sizes which you would have found on the internet yourself.

One person's experience says nothing about your own experience with a mouthpiece (I mean yours to.....may-be) your horn, the music you play and who you play it with and so on.

Also, as Grantonsax says (by the way I've been in Charlotte, nice place!), the definition of what Jazz (even with the predicate funky attached) or Jazzy is might be just a little more specific than saying that you want to play " music" with this mouthpiece as opposed to use it as a calumet for smoking more or less legal substances with it :).

No seriously. The best thing you can do is to go to a serious shop and start playing a bunch of pieces until you find something you like, take your time and be prepared to think that in a few days time when the novelty has worn off you would be reconsidering your choice (make sure there is a return policy of some sort) finding a mouthpiece by trials and errors is not a choice but a quest!

·
Registered
466 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
sorry for saying jazzy, but I only said that for lack of a better term (I didn't think jazz-like or jazz-ish was appropriate). I do love Sonny Rollins and I know him somewhat well, but although I haven't played any tenor bergs, I feel they seem too similar to Level Airs.

I checked out the Lawton website. Are there vintage Lawtons out there that are better or are the modern production ones just as good?
What material would you suggest? Ebonite, brass, bronze or stainless steel?

·
38,816 Posts
SaxColossusJR said:
sorry for saying jazzy, but I only said that for lack of a better term (I didn't think jazz-like or jazz-ish was appropriate). I do love Sonny Rollins and I know him somewhat well, but although I haven't played any tenor bergs, I feel they seem too similar to Level Airs.

I checked out the Lawton website. Are there vintage Lawtons out there that are better or are the modern production ones just as good?
What material would you suggest? Ebonite, brass, bronze or stainless steel?
The problem is not in a name (Jazzy is not offensive) it is rather more the fact that you really cannot advise someone on the choice of a mouthpice just like that!...... you really have to move every part of your person to a reputable shop and start playing with your horn a selection of 20-30 pieces! If your hero is Sonny Rollins try his set up, he has had many (indicating that he was looking for a sound himself!)I found this on the internet somewhere

"......Sonny Rollins´ mouthpiece is, and has been since about ´66 (East Broadway Rundown), a Berg Larsen 130/2.He uses Hemke 2,5 reeds, switched from Hemke 2 and before that, in 70´s and 80´s, used Rico Royal 2,5. He also used La Voz mediums sometime. His 50´s mouthpieces were Otto Link 10 (for the most part) and a Selmer ebonite (maybe "K" which is 130 opening). He has also used periodically a Berg Larsen ebonite mpc (60´s and 70´s) and a Lawton mpc (70´s). His horn has been, since late 50´s, a Selmer MK VI and he maybe used a Balanced Action before `56 because that's the year MKVI came to market (he said in an interview that he started out with a King)......."

Does this help? I don't think so! It just tells you an historical record but there is no way that you will play the same (or play at all , most of us wouldn't be able to play a Berg Larsen 130....) soud that Sonny does (I wish ...).

Anyway, here my two pennies, if you want a bright projecting sound go for high baffle, if you want a more mellow sound go for almost no baffle, open chambers are more difficult to control and have less projection but give more possibilities, metal tends to be smaller and you have to worry less about the piece changing in time, subtoning tends to be more confortable for most on larger pieces than smaller (but that is in no way true for everyone), smaller pieces tend to be projecting more, small(er) chambers are very resistive but project more.

And now? You still have to go to the shop and try the 20-30 pieces that they have and if possible tour all the shops......by the way, after you've changed the piece, you might want to star looking for a new reed type or size or both......I told you.....it's not a choice ,it's a quest!;)

·
Distinguished SOTW Member/Logician
25,969 Posts
If it has to be metal, Ponzol and SR Tech make quality mouthpieces within your range. You could also try a Vandoren V16. The basic Ponzol M2 (not the small or plus) is definitely a piece one who favors metal should try.

·
Registered
853 Posts
SaxColossusJR said:
I m in the market for a new metal jazz tenor piece. I play mainly in combos but a few big bands a little funk/rock. I like the brilharts I have play but they don't make a jazzy metal piece only a more rock on (level air) any suggestion. Budget $300 or less.
-
It sounds like you want something w/ at least SOME baffle and not too large or too small a chamber. Some that come to mind:

SR Tech Pro
Yanagisawa Metal
Ponzol M1 or M2
V16 metal
Berg Larsen Metal in 2 or 3 chamber (these mpc's are the butt of many jokes here as many folks despise them. I think they can be OK if you find a good one)

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
4,596 Posts
I'm thinking Barone Jazz 7* or 8 for you. A fine, versatile mouthpiece. Think Dexter, Joshua Redman, big ballsy tenor sounds useful in many situations. They have a very tight core to the sound and a nice amount of brightness that never becomes too edgy (as might happen with a "rock" mouthpiece). They come up used here on the forum from time to time. I was lucky to pick up one worked on by JVW and it's a fantastic player. HUGE chamber with a very long rollover and an enormous window. Ya-ya-ya!! They also tune extremely well on most any horn you put them on. Downside maybe is that the reed feels like it thins out in the palm keys... but it's more a feeling than an actual effect on the tone. Check one out if you can get your hands on it.

The other suggestions made here are all great, I've tried the V16, Lost wax link, a few Florida links, and they are all great but they do not have the even pitch center throughout the range like these Barone mouthpieces do.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member.
4,680 Posts
SaxColossusJR said:
-
One of these 2 models might be good choices for you.
There are others on the site, as well.. all are $250 each.

He'll make one at whatever tip opening you're comfortable with.
Shoot him an email and he'll work with you to get you something that'll be
perfect - a good guy that is actually a player.

They're not metal 'pieces but he has blanks that are the same shape(smaller)
as the [typical]metal pieces.

Check out the website, thouroughly.:)

http://www.saxscape.com/products-downtown.php#studio

Downtown Studio™ NEW!
The Downtown Studio has a bullet chamber and shortened baffle. This improves the low end and fattens the high end, and gives it a more flexible tone than the standard Downtown

http://www.saxscape.com/products-uptown.php
UptownLive NEW!
The Uptown Live is the result of many many hours of research and collaboration, and combines the quickness of a Guardala or Dukoff with the fat sound and great midrange of a Link. This is Nick Franciosa's main mouthpiece currently.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
1,310 Posts
I've had good luck with Link Super Tone Masters on Tenor and bari - and the Runyon Quantum might be a good option too..

Keep your eye out on Ebay.

·
Registered
337 Posts
Get an Otto Link STM, it defines jazz tenor (generally speaking) Add a small baffle if you need more edge.

·
Distinguished Member, Forum Contributor 2013-2016
7,887 Posts
MojoBari said:
Did you know that Sonny played on a Bundy tenor too?

I met him once and he was playing a Selmer USA. Strangest thing.

·
38,816 Posts
you see :twisted: ,I told you were going to end up with a list of almost any piece on the market with a number of sizes to go with it.........and still without trying them yourself you will never know what those names and those sizes mean for you & for your playing.......on the other hand all those 2 cents will make a little sum of money in the end.....maybe enough to buy a piece.....;)

1 - 16 of 16 Posts