Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
378 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a metal durga tenor mouthpiece and I found a lig to fit but im wondering what is a good ligature for this piece. I dont care for the one that came with it

·
Registered
219 Posts
I just played my Durga 3 alto last night, had the stock ligature in the middle position. A Vandoren 2.5 squeaked viciously, followed by a Rico Royal 2 (better but still squeaking). I moved the ligature up to the closest position to the window and the Rico Royal 2 sang.
I've found that ligature position can really affect playability, so shared that to make sure that you tried the various positions on that stock ligature before giving up on it.
That said, I bought a used Ambika that came without the stock ligature and used a Rovner dark on it. However I preferred the Liberty ligature when I was able to try it.

·
Registered
378 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
My experience with the stock ligature is it doesn’t hold the reed and if your in a gig and you try to move it it is a pain to do. I’m also not a big fan of the sound it gives you. Just my opinion

·
Registered
219 Posts
I haven't had the reed movement issue, but should probably do sound trials with other ligatures with my Durgas; I've only played them with the stock ligature. I am absolutely with you on the issue of moving the ligature. I hadn't brought the wrench so had to borrow a hex key from the clarinet player to accomplish it and was embarrassed to hold up the whole orchestra.

·
Registered
83 Posts
I just played my Durga 3 alto last night, had the stock ligature in the middle position. A Vandoren 2.5 squeaked viciously, followed by a Rico Royal 2 (better but still squeaking).

I have the same problem with the TW durga on my tenor. It's sound so good but the squeaks are annoying.. :/ i have to try any others ligatures on this excellent mouthpiece with a unsuccessful stock ligature.

·
Registered
219 Posts
I have the same problem with the TW durga on my tenor. It's sound so good but the squeaks are annoying.. :/ i have to try any others ligatures on this excellent mouthpiece with a unsuccessful stock ligature.
Kylo, please forgive the late response. I found that moving the ligature up to the window solved the squeak with my Durga alto with the Rico Royal 2. Have you tried shifting the stock ligature position on the mouthpiece? I play a Durga 10 with a Vandoren ZZ2.5 on my Yanagisawa T991b with few if any squeaks, again with the ligature placed closest to the mouthpiece window. Going to the 2 solves the squeaking, but I prefer the sound with the harder reed. I wonder if squeaking worsens with the ligature pulled back because of the reed not being held tightly to the table.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts