Distinguished SOTW Member
2,011 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Any pro players playing these at all....aside from Sonny of course
Peace

·
Registered
140 Posts
Travis Ranney in Seattle sounded killer last time I heard him on a metal Berg. Not sure if he still plays it or not, he sounds good on everything though.

·
1,243 Posts
Tom Politzer:

Lenny Pickett:

·
1,364 Posts
Rashaan Roland Kirk, Sam Butera

·
3,536 Posts
Lenny Pickett, Yusef Lateef, Gato Barbieri, Eric Marienthal (tenor), Andy Sheppard, Booker Ervin, Coleman Hawkins. The vintage ones can be incredibly special. The denim table, offset M/SMS, they were lovingly made and often are absolute treasures. Last year I lucked into a scoop bill, denim table 105/2 offset M. It is an absolute holy Grail of a mouthpiece

·
(formerly borganiboy)
5,566 Posts
You need to try a Retro Revival UK Special Berg piece, mines a 120 tip, its greatttttttt. Had a couple of Bergs years ago. This new piece is superb.

·
3,536 Posts
The Retro Revivals are nice but its too bad they aren't stainless steel like the real thing. Go vintage denim table stainless offset M for the real thing.

·
(formerly borganiboy)
5,566 Posts
The Retro Revivals are nice but its too bad they aren't stainless steel like the real thing. Go vintage denim table stainless offset M for the real thing.
Trying to find a good playing Berg can be hard, lol

·
Registered
5,901 Posts
Lenny Pickett, Yusef Lateef, Gato Barbieri, Eric Marienthal (tenor), Andy Sheppard, Booker Ervin, Coleman Hawkins. The vintage ones can be incredibly special. The denim table, offset M/SMS, they were lovingly made and often are absolute treasures. Last year I lucked into a scoop bill, denim table 105/2 offset M. It is an absolute holy Grail of a mouthpiece
Lovingly made? The holy grail? Thanks for sharing and making me laugh. That’s hysterical! Phil Barone

·
3,536 Posts
I've lucked into some incredible stainless steel Bergs over the years, and I've kept the really great ones. Last year I got really really lucky and did a trade with a guy who had a perfect scoop bill straight baffle denim table 105/2 offset M. Absolute 1000% Holy grail material !!! It's absolutely sublime and the rails table and tip were absolutely made with a ton of love. I was looking for A clean and beautiful specimen of this exact vintage, model and tip opening for many years, and just like that to my utter amazement there it was sitting in the guy's tenor case, not being played through blind luck. I asked him if I could see it, played it for about two seconds, and traded him a Ponzol and got some money on top of it. Every now and then you get really lucky . The great ones all share a couple of properties: denim table with offset letter. The ones with the parallel parabolic milling marks with offset letter are not nearly as good as the denim table.
View attachment 219060 View attachment 219058 View attachment 219062
Lovingly made? The holy grail? Thanks for sharing and making me laugh. That’s hysterical! Phil Barone

·
(formerly borganiboy)
5,566 Posts
Get a Retro Revival one, everyone plays great and easy, no luck or searching involved , make life more easy, simples

·
7,904 Posts
Booker Ervin made one sound quite good.
I like them on Baritone, but really never found a good one for Tenor.
Except maybe an old slant Signature Rubber, but it was too closed.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts