Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Metal alto Lawton 7*B

Has anyone tried alternative ligatures on their metal Lawton? If so, how did they fair?

I've read that Eric Marienthal used to use a Soprano Rico H lig on his Beechler #7 - would that fit my Lawton?

·
Premium Member
1,470 Posts
Do you not have or like the regular slip on ligature?

I prefer those kind on my Lawton mouthpieces. I play an ebonite 7*B on my alto.

I would think that any ligature that fits the mouthpiece will work fine as all ligatures do.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hi JC - Yes I have the stock ligature, it works fine, however I have always found the mp to be a bit dark.
I have just tried a silver selmer 2 screw ligature (from a silver jazz mp). It fits perfectly and makes my Lawton a little brighter, more open and a bit freer blowing. So I was hoping to try some other ligs that might make it play a little freer and a bit brighter

·
Premium Member
1,470 Posts
I don't buy in to the idea that the ligature affects the tone of the mouthpiece. As long as it holds the reed securely, I don't see any reason why one type would affect the tone over another.

And I don't think I would classify the Lawton B chamber as dark. I think it leans towards the bright side. Brighter than my Meyer 6M but not a bright as the Bergs or Brilharts I've played.

What kind of reed are you playing on it? I use Vandoren Java (green box) 3 1/2 on all my alto and tenor and 3s on my soprano.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Hi JC over the years I've tried most of the main brands and I have revisited the Java Green, I think they might be a bit brighter as they run a little softer than other cuts and the heart/spine doesn't extend as far down to the reed tip. I've been looking at my box of used/dead reeds and have found that all of the reeds that I liked (played to death) tend to have less thickness towards the tip.

Following some suggestions from a few people on some FB groups I have just got some Rigotti Golds for both my Tenor and alto (6 for each) and they do play quite consistently brighter than any reeds I've played before. and a bit brighter again with the Selmer (402 i think) ligature on the Lawton, so getting there!

I've been an on and off hobbyist with the sax for about 30yrs. I've only ever had 6 mps. 2 tenor, 4 alto. (Plastic Selmer, Metal V16-T75, Silver Selmer jazz, the Lawton, Rousseau JDX7 and recently a JJ Jet7 so I'm no expert but I have to say the plates on the V16's lig make a difference in response, focus and brightness. Same with Optimum lig on my JDX and Jody especially compared to 2 basic Rovner ligs.

Perhaps its not even the projected sound from the horn thats brighter but the feedback that I get from mp, maybe thats just me though. But I'd still like to find a ligature the same dimensions/fit as the 402.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts