Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
14,268 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This morning, I met with Vinnie ("noresponsenecessary" on SOTW) at his house. Turns out, he lives about five miles from me in the same town. What a nice guy! He is the real deal.

And more importantly, what a collection of saxophones and other instruments. We spent about two and half hours playing each other's stuff and telling musical war stories.

I brought four sopranos and two altos.

Among his saxophones I played were two C-sopranos (Conn and Epplesheim), several Bb sopranos (Selmer Super Action 80, Selmer Serie III, Yanagisawa solid-silver, Julius Keilwerth, Yanagisawa silver-plated SC901 with a Gloger silver neck, Yamaha Custom Z-R), one G-soprano, and a Conn F-Mezzo soprano. He also played his Taragto for me. All of his horns were in top playing shape - easy to play and good voices.

He played my sopranos ('27 Conn NWII, '59 five-digit MKVI, '72 MKVI, and a Yana SC902 with three different necks, one being a solid-silver straight neck), and two altos (Ref 54 and Yana AWO1).

He favors silver (plated and solid). And he plays a ton of it.

One thing I confirmed for myself, I'm happy with what I have, there is no holy-grail, and while his horns were excellent, I have no need to make further purchases. Thanks for that, Vinny . . . and my wife thanks you, too. DAVE

·
Premium Member
15,480 Posts
Nice story, Dave. Its great to meet people from here that you've corresponded with and never had the chance to meet up with.
I had a similar experience recently, and it was truly a GREAT time.

The experiences are far more important than any of the gear.
Thanks for sharing.

·
Registered
253 Posts
It was really wonderful to meet and hear you Dave. You made me aware of some things I need to work on in the music I play and write while I was listening to you.. I am really thrilled by that! Dave's a truly wonderful person,makes me glad I joined SOTW.

·
Distinguished SOTW Coffee Guru
38,847 Posts
I too have met “ no response necessary “ in Amsterdam

What a lovely person to meet (along with his band and tour manager).

We had a very nice conversation over a couple of beers after I had been partaking to his concert at the “ Bimhuis” where he had kindly invited me.

I was and still am very grateful for that encounter and should hope to meet him again when he comes back to Amsterdam.

·
Registered
253 Posts
Thanks Milandro, that's very nice of you to say. I am looking forward to hanging out with you again as well. That was indeed a good time and wonderful discussion. The Bim is a great place to play, the people listen and know the music for sure

1 - 6 of 6 Posts