Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
Joined
·
4,147 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
He was playing a gig at Bear's Place (a local bar) tonight and I ambushed his van out back and got him to sign a play-along book. He was a really nice guy and I wish I could have gotten to see him play.
 

·
Forum Contributor 2010, Distinguished SOTW Member
Joined
·
5,076 Posts
Martinman said:
He was playing a gig at Bear's Place (a local bar) tonight and I ambushed his van out back and got him to sign a play-along book. He was a really nice guy and I wish I could have gotten to see him play.
Isn't he required by law, when he plays a gig, to let anyone who owns one of his books play along with him?:D
 

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
Joined
·
4,147 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Reedsplinter said:
Isn't he required by law, when he plays a gig, to let anyone who owns one of his books play along with him?:D
I wish. I had my soprano too...
 

·
SOTW Administrator
Joined
·
26,208 Posts
He played in the back room?
 

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
Joined
·
4,147 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
hakukani said:
He played in the back room?

I don't know, I couldn't see him play.:(
 

·
The most prolific Distinguished SOTW poster, Forum
Joined
·
27,650 Posts
Reedsplinter said:
Isn't he required by law, when he plays a gig, to let anyone who owns one of his books play along with him?:D
:sign5:

Excellent!
 

·
SOTW Administrator
Joined
·
26,208 Posts
Martinman said:
I don't know, I couldn't see him play.:(
They wouldn't let you in?
 

·
SOTW Administrator
Joined
·
26,208 Posts

·
The most prolific Distinguished SOTW poster, Forum
Joined
·
27,650 Posts
Grumps said:
Concert Bb tuning note...
Concert A tuning note...
1... 2...
1, 2, 3, 4...
LOL! That's two tonight Grumps. You're on a roll. :headbang:
 

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2014
Joined
·
1,370 Posts
Yeah, Grumps.... Keep it up and you may get named after a different dwarf
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
3,781 Posts
I went to the backstage bar in pittsburgh,a nd they don't even card you, but it is a bar. I ate dinner with my parents, and my girlfriend, and it was my birthday present. I listened to Tony Campbell, and it was the S**t! I talked to him afterward, and he decided that I could go to another famous Jazz club with him, and actually play tenor bari alto, he said to bring all my saxes! We talked during his brake, and we learned a little from each other. A few of the Great jazz players have been there I can't recall that trumpet player's name. Eldar has been there. I think CJ's was the name. I had to move a friend's house, and I got too tired, and passed out and was not able to go. But to be invited to come and improvise with some famous people, was a teenagers's dream! If only I could have made it!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,138 Posts
I got to drive Jamey Aebersold to the airport a couple of years ago. He'd just given a clinic at a school in Colorado and a snow storm was moving in--he was really worried about catching his flight. We had to take some back roads to get to DIA, but I must say, if one had to be stuck in a blizzard with someone, he'd be really interesting to talk with! Very nice man and extremely knowledgeable on many subjects outside of music!
 

·
SOTW Administrator
Joined
·
26,208 Posts
Steve P said:
Funny. I just got home from Bears Place. Missed Abersold, but I got there just in time for beer:30 :)

Steve P
Ah, the memories. Pitcher of Stroh's, a bowl of chili with provo and onions.

Yum.
 

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
Joined
·
4,147 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Steve P said:
Funny. I just got home from Bears Place. Missed Abersold, but I got there just in time for beer:30 :)

Steve P

You should have come out back. I had a flash of brilliant insight on my way to go practice and went out back, and I could hear them behind the door. Man, Jamey's sound is so good. Really good ideas and execution too. I only got to hear 3 songs, and the only one I recognized was "Moments Notice". It was really cool because Dr. Walsh drove up and parked out back, saw me, and said I was "awesome" for sitting outside in order to see it. I guess that people used to do that, but they don't anymore. That made my day right there. He said that the card checker is usually lenient, so I am going to try to get in next time. It was a really nice night too.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,183 Posts
20 years ago, Jamie showed up at a jazz club I was playing, (a jazz education convention was in town). We were playing 26-2, by Coltrane. He came up to me, and said: Thanks for playing my music, even though I had photo-copied his music! A VERY cool guy!!!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
337 Posts
Martinman said:
You should have come out back. I had a flash of brilliant insight on my way to go practice and went out back, and I could hear them behind the door. Man, Jamey's sound is so good. Really good ideas and execution too. I only got to hear 3 songs, and the only one I recognized was "Moments Notice". It was really cool because Dr. Walsh drove up and parked out back, saw me, and said I was "awesome" for sitting outside in order to see it. I guess that people used to do that, but they don't anymore. That made my day right there. He said that the card checker is usually lenient, so I am going to try to get in next time. It was a really nice night too.
Did he play the right chord tones?
 
1 - 20 of 22 Posts
Top