Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
3,073 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everyone!
I have spent the past year saving year saving up to buy a new Yanagisawa WO2 alto with special order custom engraving. As we of course know, money saved up for saxophones often goes other places. In my case it was car problems. I did find a good deal and negotiated for a great deal on a Yanagisawa 902 alto in pristine condition with a repad!
As many here may know I am in no way a collector and I don’t get new instruments very often. This is a big deal for me. So merry Christmas to me! :)
I hope many others received musical presents this year as well! The instrument arrives Friday. :-D

·
Registered
1,537 Posts
:santa:

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
TENOR, soprano, alto, baritone
7,427 Posts
Without pics it didn't happen! Just kidding, Happy Christmas! Nothing like a new/new-to-you horn!

·
Registered
1,336 Posts
Congrats, Andre. Nothing wrong with making Your Christmas wishes come true, yourself! Enjoy your new horn! Hope the arrival happens as planned. My own buys always seem to arrive late. Drives me crazy! I'm pretty much done buying, though, so I won't have to go through that, anymore! I'll keep my fingers crossed for you, on Friday!

·
Registered
3,073 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I will make sure to take pics as soon as I get it!
And maybe put a Klangboven or two on it for those who desire! :-D

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2007-
7,131 Posts
Well there is certainly nothing wrong with an A-902. Congratulations!

·
Premium Member
15,480 Posts
That’s fantastic!
It’s a great feeling to work hard and save up money for something that you really want.
I hope you get much joy from it and happy holidays to you.

·
Registered
232 Posts
Congrats, I bought 2 new horns in the past 3 years and it is the best feeling. You work hard, reward yourself. Enjoy 2020.

·
SOTW Columnist and Forum Contributor 2015-2016
3,832 Posts
Congratulations! The A902 are absolutely stellar instruments. Put up some pictures and enjoy!!!

- Saxaholic

·
Registered
3,073 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Here is the first photo that I took with the pair together. I am meaning to take more but am deciding how to put together the final product. For example I already took the metal thumb rest off the 991. I am thinking of taking some palm key extenders off as well. Now I am playing around with the necks. I now have overslung bronze, underslung sterling silver, and underslung bronze. I have a student who was using the underslung bronze and traded the underslung brass I had for us to both try out. Once I have the final product I will take more photos. And yes....maybe it will have a klangbogen on it! Stay tuned to find out!
:-D

View attachment 250312

·
Registered
3,073 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
So I purchased a GL Pro (economy) case, the blue ABS case with back pack straps. I prefer this over the standard Yanagisawa case of the 9 series.
I have the 992 neck and the 9937 sterling neck and still can’t choose between them. Inside the bell is the new Yanagisawa classical mouthpiece, a Just Joes neck strap, a BG swab, and a klangbogen. I also have a Meyer NY 6m that I scored as some case candy found inside of a Yamaha 23 case I bought at a thrift shop earlier this year. I also have a tuner/metronome as well as key leaves I have been testing out instead of my clamps. Then lastly I have a high mass screw from West Coast sax on this horn. The white circular thing on the bottom left is a pill bottle with listerine and water where I soak my reeds.

So yup, this is the new setup! I like how the non ribbed horns play more than the unlacquered horns. In particular I really like the bronze. I look forward to playing on this instrument for my lessons and hopefully some jazz ensemble work soon. While it sounds and feels great, I need to try it out in different styles.
So here’s to a few years of testing! It would be around five years and over four thousands hours to catch up to the amount of time I put on the other Yanagisawa! I hate starting from scratch learning a new horn, but this is a logical change for the type of playing I am doing now and plan to be doing in the future.
Merry Christmas to me!
:-D

View attachment 250548

1 - 14 of 14 Posts