·
Registered
65 Posts
Merry Christmas!

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2013-
5,431 Posts
xmas eve = oyster stew, according to my wife's family tradition

with that we had grilled cheese sandwiches, Italian deli spread, apples, grapes, berries, and my son made a banana pudding pie

YUM!

Sanny Claws will be here soon!

·
Registered
5,901 Posts
xmas eve = oyster stew, according to my wife's family tradition

with that we had grilled cheese sandwiches, Italian deli spread, apples, grapes, berries, and my son made a banana pudding pie

YUM!

Sanny Claws will be here soon!
Wow! Oyster stew, that’s sounds so good. Can I have the recipe? Phil

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2013-
5,431 Posts
Wow! Oyster stew, that’s sounds so good. Can I have the recipe? Phil
My wife's family does this:

Drain oysters and reserve juice.

For every 8 oz of oysters put one pat of butter (1 to 3 tsp to taste) in soup pot and heat to sparkling.

Add the oysters and just heat thru in the butter.

Add oyster juice and enough milk to cover well.

When the soup is very hot, but not boiling, it is ready.

Add a bit of heavy cream to each bowl on service.

For large batches I often add some clam juice or boiled down chicken broth.

[Personally, I like mine with a Mirepoix base, and diced tomato, as with some clam chowders, but that is considered blasphemous, and not permitted on xmas eve. The plain oysters, milk, and butter does bring fresh oysters right out front. I am not even allowed to add fresh parsley, except to my own bowl. Family traditional versions are sacrosanct. That is how grandma did it, that is that!]

Last night was 2 pints oysters (with juice), 1/2 stick butter, 1 bottle clam juice, 2.5 cups of milk, and 1/3 cup of heavy cream.

Oyster crackers.

[I do not believe in "secret" recipes. They are evil. Food is for sharing.]

·
Registered
1,611 Posts
Merry Christmas, all! Thank you all for the good advices you give so generously here all year long.

And for the record: it'll be a tuscan style pork roast with garlic mashed potatoes and herbed green beans.

·
Registered
5,901 Posts
Merry Christmas, all! Thank you all for the good advices you give so generously here all year long.

And for the record: it'll be a tuscan style pork roast with garlic mashed potatoes and herbed green beans.
Sounds great! Add some grated cheese, Romano or Parmesan and some butter and half and half or cream to the potatoes. Oh, and some fresh chopped Italian parsley. I made them last night and they came out great. Merry Christmas! Phil

·
Registered
5,901 Posts
My wife's family does this:

Drain oysters and reserve juice.

For every 8 oz of oysters put one pat of butter (1 to 3 tsp to taste) in soup pot and heat to sparkling.

Add the oysters and just heat thru in the butter.

Add oyster juice and enough milk to cover well.

When the soup is very hot, but not boiling, it is ready.

Add a bit of heavy cream to each bowl on service.

For large batches I often add some clam juice or boiled down chicken broth.

[Personally, I like mine with a Mirepoix base, and diced tomato, as with some clam chowders, but that is considered blasphemous, and not permitted on xmas eve. The plain oysters, milk, and butter does bring fresh oysters right out front. I am not even allowed to add fresh parsley, except to my own bowl. Family traditional versions are sacrosanct. That is how grandma did it, that is that!]

Last night was 2 pints oysters (with juice), 1/2 stick butter, 1 bottle clam juice, 2.5 cups of milk, and 1/3 cup of heavy cream.

Oyster crackers.

[I do not believe in "secret" recipes. They are evil. Food is for sharing.]
Sounds fantastic, definitely on my list.

·
Registered
2,432 Posts
Last night, (Christmas Eve), I poached chicken breasts in chicken broth with all kinds of seasoning and bits. Never poached chicken before. It's really easy and doesn't take more than 15 min. It also was very tasty!
Merry Krizz!!

·
Registered
6 Posts
I don't mean to rain on anyone's parade, but rather just alert everyone about a serious health issue associated with a carcinogenic heavy metal contained in oysters and all shellfish, including shrimp, clams, crab, etc. The heavy metal is cadmium, and shellfish contain about 1,000 times the concentration of cadmium compared to a piece of chicken, a steak, or a pork chop. Cadmium has a biological half-life of about 30 years, so once it is assimilated into the tissues of your body, it's hard to remove it. And, it has a cumulative effect with no apparent symptoms until it reaches organ-specific concentrations, at which time it causes the organs to malfunction, causing diseases like diabetes and kidney failure. Do yourselves a favor and research "cadmium toxicity" and "cadmium poisoning." Cadmium is a contaminant in phosphate fertilizers used in crop production, so it's in the food chain, but the concentration in different foods varies greatly. Just like it concentrates in our internal organs, it is found primarily in the corresponding organs of cattle, swine, and chickens, so stay away from organ meats and products that contain organ meats. Also, stay away from products that contain phosphates (e.g., deli meats, bacon, many cereals, evaporated milk, many puddings), because there's cadmium that goes with the phosphates. Generally for fruits and vegetables, if it grows on a tree, long vine, or tall stalk, it is probably low in cadmium. If it grows in the ground or on the ground, it is probably high in cadmium. There are, of course, a few exceptions to the rule. Do your research, read the labels, and stay healthy.

·
Registered
5,901 Posts
I don't mean to rain on anyone's parade, but rather just alert everyone about a serious health issue associated with a carcinogenic heavy metal contained in oysters and all shellfish, including shrimp, clams, crab, etc. The heavy metal is cadmium, and shellfish contain about 1,000 times the concentration of cadmium compared to a piece of chicken, a steak, or a pork chop. Cadmium has a biological half-life of about 30 years, so once it is assimilated into the tissues of your body, it's hard to remove it. And, it has a cumulative effect with no apparent symptoms until it reaches organ-specific concentrations, at which time it causes the organs to malfunction, causing diseases like diabetes and kidney failure. Do yourselves a favor and research "cadmium toxicity" and "cadmium poisoning." Cadmium is a contaminant in phosphate fertilizers used in crop production, so it's in the food chain, but the concentration in different foods varies greatly. Just like it concentrates in our internal organs, it is found primarily in the corresponding organs of cattle, swine, and chickens, so stay away from organ meats and products that contain organ meats. Also, stay away from products that contain phosphates (e.g., deli meats, bacon, many cereals, evaporated milk, many puddings), because there's cadmium that goes with the phosphates. Generally for fruits and vegetables, if it grows on a tree, long vine, or tall stalk, it is probably low in cadmium. If it grows in the ground or on the ground, it is probably high in cadmium. There are, of course, a few exceptions to the rule. Do your research, read the labels, and stay healthy.
Well, I guess I’m a goner.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts