Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello, I had posted another thread on tips before the audition (Audition is this Monday!) - http://forum.saxontheweb.net/showthread.php?176340-High-School-Scholarship-Audition-Guidance - but this thread is for mental preparation before the audition (Little things I can do to have total confidence and no "butterflies") and audition etiquette (How I introduce myself to the judges, how I introduce a piece and proper clothing.) ***For clothing I was thinking a Suit but my accompaniment says a band tux is more appropriate?*** - Thanks in advance - Alec :mrgreen:

·
Registered
1,458 Posts
I just did the whole college deal. Personally, I've never had issues with nerves. My first audition though, I OVER-prepared on the day. I got to my warm up room an hour and a half early (on accident). I ended up doing like 45 minutes before getting burned out. As a general rule, I try to keep audition/performance days as close to a normal day as possible. On the way there, I was singing in the car with my mom to '90s Pop Rock.

Out of all seriousness, just relax. It's a performance. Are nerves going to help you? Probably not. Play the piece, make some music and let that be it. In the practice room, I always made a point of listening to my pieces by a professional beforehand. Since you're doing the ferling, if I were you, for the last few minutes I'd just finger through the etudes at a good relaxed tempo.

Seriously. Chill. Play. Make music and stuff.

-Bubba-

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Seriously. Chill. Play. Make music and stuff.

-Bubba-
Wow, great advice, thank you! I was thinking about not going to school that day (the audition is on a Monday) and just relaxing. ALSO, do you think getting there 1hr. before is fine? Just to relax and get used to the atmosphere.

·
Forum Contributor 2016, Distinguished SOTW Member
12,898 Posts
Hello, I had posted another thread on tips before the audition (Audition is this Monday!) - http://forum.saxontheweb.net/showthread.php?176340-High-School-Scholarship-Audition-Guidance - but this thread is for mental preparation before the audition (Little things I can do to have total confidence and no "butterflies") and audition etiquette (How I introduce myself to the judges, how I introduce a piece and proper clothing.) ***For clothing I was thinking a Suit but my accompaniment says a band tux is more appropriate?*** - Thanks in advance - Alec :mrgreen:
Band Tux? For an audition...............I think that's a bit over kill if you ask me.

·
Registered
258 Posts
Band Tux? For an audition...............I think that's a bit over kill if you ask me.
Agreed. Some adjudicators think that some players compensate for lack of age/grade-appropriate skill—or self-perception of such lack of skill—by dressing much more "dressy" than necessary.

Personally, I think—and I believe this is still a worldwide standard—that a tuxedo during daytime (even at weddings, and especially for a college audition) is out of place, considering it's eveningwear.

Although I admit I have no idea what school or program you're auditioning for… that'll influence your clothing choice as well.

·
Non Resident SOTW Eccentric & 2012 Forum Contribut
3,259 Posts
Unfortunately, the concept of wearing a dinner jacket aka tux in the afternoon has caught on rather well in north america

·
Registered
1,105 Posts
You have to know and should have practised that what you want to play very very well. Because on stage many people are not as good as in their practise room because of standing in front of a "jury". The better you are able to play it at home, the fewer cut backs you will have on stage.
Start to practise mentally at home the audition, to get a feel for the situation. Have you already seen other auditions, do you know how they are happening?
Go through the whole process as accurate as possible in your mind again and again (maybe also try different versions of it).
Try to play the songs and imagine the "jury" would be there and hear what you do. This way you will feel less stagefright.
Also good as a practise unit is to do some endurance sport before going through the pieces you play (getting the pulse up is similar to the feeling of stagefright), this will simulate an extreme situation and maybe let you relax more on the audition.
Take something to drink with you, if you get afraid you may will get thirsty (on my diploma examination i emptied a 1,5 l bottle at once).
Wear what you will feel good in and that gives you enough space and air to breath.

·
Registered
89 Posts
I finished my auditions about a month ago and I wore a dress shirt with pants and a sports jacket. As everyone will tell you, you should just relax. For me the judges were really chill and the atmosphere was not hostile, or intimidating at all. Hopefully, you find this environment, because it makes it easier to perform. One thing I always asked myself before an audition was whether I was prepared (which I was) so then there were no worries about how I'd do. I got to my auditions about 1 hour to 1 hour and 30 min early and I warmed up for 30 min. before.

·
3,259 Posts
Hee ... three weeks to go before this years jury ..... two tunes down Nuages and Take 5, one to go ..... Au Privav

Effortless Mastery to the rescue. It works for me, particularly the 5 minute meditation. Have been doing for a year and a half now. Christmas jury was completely relaxed and I got an attaboy from the dean.

Prep well, dress nicely but not flamboyant, and spend enough time to get warmed up physically but spend more time getting relaxed so that your mind doesn't get in your way.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I was originally thinking of wearing a nice dress shirt and tie. Time to search GQ, Heh! Something I read on an article about tips for auditions is to dress nicely, but conservative. Nothing that will distract the judges or stick out.

·
3,259 Posts
Dress shirt and tie and grey slacks good shoes if in the Northeast USA or eastern Canada with a nice V neck sweater if climate demands. Very student-like and not too fancy probably not a bow tie I think.

Southwest probably dress short sleeve shirt and nice slacks with loafers but not runners or other really casual type shoes

Northwest and Western Canada nice shirt no tie sweater if cool, slacks or cords., shoes can be like hush puppy or Ecco or almost anything short of runners and that ilk. I am not up on Southeast dress anymore.

Being an old student, I am older than all my teachers, I can be quite eccentric and tend to be rather more fancy than not. I tried blue jean casual in class first year but it seemed to make the students uncomfortable. Much better now that I simply look like an older person should, at least to their eyes. The difference in reception I get now still amazes me.

·
Distinguished SOTW member/, Official SOTW Sister
19,284 Posts
I'll tell you what I tell my students just before Solo & Ensemble.
If you've done your work there is nothing to worry about. You'll do just fine.
During warm up play only enough to get the fingers and mind working together. Maybe give a 'trouble spot' a quick run through, but save your chops for the actual 'performance'. If you get antsy.. finger through and sing in your head, or listen to some relaxing music on your ipod/phone what have you.
Put a travel size container of unscented baby powder in your case if you suffer from really sweaty hands. A little sprinkle and rub just before you go in helps keep your fingers from sliding off from the keys.
And finally, if you happen to have a finger flub or squeak don't let it throw you. Just keep on playing like it never happened. Keeping your composure might just be the one thing that puts you above another player. :)

As for your attire.... Just dress 'nicely' and definately no sneakers.

Good Luck!!

·
3,259 Posts
Remember to always do as mommy says. It irks the heck out of me but mothers seem to usually be right

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Put a travel size container of unscented baby powder in your case if you suffer from really sweaty hands. A little sprinkle and rub just before you go in helps keep your fingers from sliding off from the keys.
I my hands do get quite sweaty (I get it from my dad!) so I will look into baby powder, also for clothes I believe I have decided on a white dress shirt, navy blazer and I nicely matching tie with khaki dress pants and black wingtips. (I live in south FLA, and it is about 90 degrees out now, but schools usually jack the air conditioning up and it does get quite cold indoors a lot.) - Also, thanks for all the suggestions and help!!

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Just posting to say thank you for all of those who helped me and gave me tips for the audition. It is tomorrow and I feel much more ready thanks to all of you, thanks! - Alec

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
2,870 Posts
Just posting to say thank you for all of those who helped me and gave me tips for the audition. It is tomorrow and I feel much more ready thanks to all of you, thanks! - Alec
how did it go?

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2015-
33,235 Posts
What worked? How did you feel?

·
3,259 Posts
Good luck

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Okay so I finished the auditions and here is a bit of a run through -

Solos and Etudes - Good, a few small finger slips (my hands get very sweaty)

Appearance/Character - Great, most of the kids were dressed in T-shirts and jeans and I dressed more formal (Blazer and khakis) and the judges seemed pretty impressed with the way I spoke and dressed.

Sight reading - Ehhhh, the piece was pretty easy but I got quite nervous and didn't play so well.

Overall - Good! I had an advantage in being THE ONLY Clarinet and Tenor to try out. I was also the only one who doubled on instruments. (Before the audition I spoke to some current members of the band who stated that most of the band were seniors and were graduating this year. Also that the band was in desperate need of a Tenor :cheers: and that most of the 5 clarinets were seniors who were graduating.)

On another note :space3:, I would like to thank all of those who gave me tips for the audition and boosted my confidence, Thanks - Alec

1 - 20 of 25 Posts