Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
175 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
"Chord progressions don’t need to be practiced in conjunction with specific standards. The bottom line is, if you practice these individual progressions enough through the 12 keys, you're going to develop your ears and understanding of harmony so much that when you do learn a standard, you'll be able to do it almost instantly." Chad LB

This could be a good place to start, a good place to end, just a good place for any and all of us that want to keep moving forward. Especially if you find the playing in all 12 key practice daunting.

Worth checking out.

https://www.jazzlessonvideos.com/harmony

Screen Shot 2019-03-20 at 11.36.09 pm.png

·
Registered
977 Posts
Nice material although i prefer to transpose myself the chords and language to the other keys. Also you would need to consider that sometimes chords are given different durations on different tunes, being the same progression. Is not the same(in a way it is but in other way not) to have a 251 on two bars that playing it longer, a chord per bar. Same for every chord progression that is presented.
Anyway Chad is giving great advise in his vids.

Is great to have this material coming from top players, and always very encouraging. Take a look also at Ben Wendel´s masterclasses, beautifully presented and lot of advice and exercises. Killer!

·
Registered
48 Posts
The bottom line is, if you practice these individual progressions enough through the 12 keys, you're going to develop your ears and understanding of harmony so much that when you do learn a standard, you'll be able to do it almost instantly.
I couldn't agree with this more.

I spent a lot of time practicing the basic progressions, and the difference it made was monumental. There's not that many of them e.g. I-IV, V-I, I-i, etc., maybe a dozen or so, and while it took a while to nail them all in 12 keys, it truly changed the way I play music.

Almost every song is made up from mostly these basic building blocks, so if you can become fluent in them, then yes, learning songs becomes much easier.

But far more important was I could now hear these harmonic progressions, and I could start thinking in terms of musical ideas, not specific chords and notes. What you play becomes detached from what key you're in, so playing a song in 12 keys becomes much easier.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts