1 - 20 of 46 Posts

·
Registered
1,537 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
4,580 Posts
I think she’s the best player on Earth right now and sounds tremendous. I know Matt does great work too.

·
Registered
2,795 Posts
I caught her live this summer--a really amazing show. And so fascinating to watch: it's like she stands on tip toes, bouncing along with the musical line.

When I asked her about her setup after the show, IIR, she said she was playing a Marantz piece (which she endorses) with a Rico 3. Her ligature was neither a Silverstein nor the Rhino she's used previously, but looked to me like a Vandoren MO. When I asked her about the lig specifically, she said she just used “whatever’s simplest”.

·
Registered
647 Posts
From that webpage: "Also I really love my Matt Marantz Custom Mouthpiece / Da'ddario reeds and Silverstein Ligature... it is the perfect set up! "

Yet she's seen in the picture at the top of the page with a Vandoren MO lig. More than likely she'll plug whoever is endorsing her at the time, not that I can blame her.

·
Registered
917 Posts
---and loves her Balanced Action.
That’s interesting.

Ive only ever seen videos of her on a mark 6, and always loved her sound. I think the mark 6 was passed down to her from a relative. Grandfather, possibly.

I saw her in Edinburgh just a few months ago, and her sound was fantastic. I never looked closely at her sax, just assuming it was her mark 6.

Interesting, and it would be nice to hear more about her “new” sax.

·
Registered
2,293 Posts
I really like her sound! I don’t tend to think players like her switch gear solely based on endorsement opportunities but maybe she has availability to try out more things as a more well known player and has found a set up that is working better for her. Whatever the case, it’s obvious from her sound she has a great concept and understanding of fundamentals and tone production so I’m sure whatever set up she chooses is probably just a refinement of the type of mpc she used prior.

·
Registered
8,027 Posts
She’s definitely right about Miguel Zenon. He’s the most impressive alto player I’ve heard live in a long time. Great writing, great ideas and that beautiful classic Meyer alto sound.
If you could sit down with one mouthpiece guy and have him dial in what you want I think you could get good results. There’s a guy not to far from me I’m going to try to do that with. I know what I want so it shouldn’t be difficult with the right starting point.
I understand the love affair with a BA. I’ve played my Mark VI for years and when I found a BA for sale cheap I jumped on it. As much as I like my Mark VI for the focus and ergonomics, the BA just seems more malleable.

·
Premium Member
525 Posts
Someone needs to get her on a 10M! Being serious, I'm just getting back into the Saxophone and I went straight to Youtube after seeing this thread to listen a bit. Not many folks can fill up a horn like that. Thanks for posting!

·
2,006 Posts
That’s interesting.

Ive only ever seen videos of her on a mark 6, and always loved her sound. I think the mark 6 was passed down to her from a relative. Grandfather, possibly.
There is an article on Melissa in last month's issue of UK Jazzwise magazine. https://www.jazzwise.com/features/a...or-latin-american-but-because-she-s-so-badass

She mentions being taught by her father and him giving her the Selmer MkVI tenor that had belonged to her grandfather.

The whole article is worth reading.

Rhys

·
Registered
917 Posts
Thanks Rhys.
I’m please to hear that I still have some good grey cells in my brain, along with all the old/dodgy ones.

What was the question, again?

·
Registered
434 Posts
Yet she's seen in the picture at the top of the page with a Vandoren MO lig. More than likely she'll plug whoever is endorsing her at the time, not that I can blame her.
That's actually an Optimum lig, the MO doesn't have the interchangeable plates and has the screw on top.

I heard her a few years ago at the Coltrane Day Festival hosted by the Coltrane Home - was a great set and I heard her warming up with some Chris Potter licks I recognized from the "Follow the Red Line" album.

·
Registered
682 Posts
I went to YT after reading this thread and checked her out. She really has a great sound! "Best player on earth"? IDK, in my humble opinion that might be a bit of a stretch, but we like what we like......

·
Registered
1,407 Posts
She also has a new neck she says is her dream neck and you can hear a difference. The main thing she has going for her is her dad’s teaching and 20+ years of hours per day on long tones and being serious about pracrice.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2015-
32,936 Posts
She also has a new neck she says is her dream neck and you can hear a difference. The main thing she has going for her is her dad’s teaching and 20+ years of hours per day on long tones and being serious about pracrice.
Please cite your source regarding the new neck - it is not mentioned in the Jazzwise interview. The first image in the Jazzwise article looks like a different neck - shiny, and the mouthpiece sits at a different location on the cork vs the Mk VI neck in the video.

Yes, her time on the horn shows in her performance.

·
Registered
385 Posts
I saw her a few months ago, she was playing a mark VI, not the one she got from her relative she used to play earlier. She plays the more shiny Mark VI in newer videos on youtube. I saw that she had her old Mark VI for sale on facebook awhile ago.

I guess the BA is new since there's no videos on youtube of her playing it yet, I just checked out her instagram and found a small clip of her with what loks to be a BA:
https://www.instagram.com/p/B4PGVwYgls-/

I bet she sounds amazing on that as on everything else she plays, fantastic player. I really like her latest album, very hip and special sounding album.

·
4,580 Posts
Please cite your source regarding the new neck - it is not mentioned in the Jazzwise interview. The first image in the Jazzwise article looks like a different neck - shiny, and the mouthpiece sits at a different location on the cork vs the Mk VI neck in the video.

Yes, her time on the horn shows in her performance.
She posted on Facebook 2 weeks ago or so talking about the new handmade tenor neck she's playing and how it's amazing. I can't remember who the maker is, but it's not one of the guys we've all heard of.

1 - 20 of 46 Posts