Sax on the Web Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
369 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well, my girlfriend and I are heading down to Melbourne to see Sonny Rollins on the 6th of June and I'm staying for the week.

Anyone want to meet up and have a jam, or failing that, are there some good venues where jamming happens?

Cheers,

Dave

·
Registered
75 Posts
The jamming scene is Melbourne is a bit quieter than it used to be.

These guys cover most of the jazz ones, for blues the Elwood RSL is best, on Sunday arvos, or you can also try the MBAS jam on Tuesdays. The Nighthawk in Mentone used to have a blues jam but I'm not sure if it's still on - give them a ring.

·
Banned
2,991 Posts
Oh dear

Stay away from MBAS if you have any sense at all, and that includes the Nighthawk. These do nothing but standard bompa bompa 12 bar.

Check out Dizzy's (drummer in my band is the houseband drummer), The Glasshouse in Collingwood. There's a new one started in West Melbourne just recently...these are jazz jams btw. Anyway, there's quite a few if you do a search.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Stay away from MBAS if you have any sense at all, and that includes the Nighthawk. These do nothing but standard bompa bompa 12 bar.
I agree, just trying to inform, not make a judgement call :) The Elwood jam is much better - they often try different things and have the people with the chops to pull it off.

Check out Dizzy's
The Dizzy's jam stoped ages ago. They had (AFAIK) a one-off the other week but my understanding is that it's not a regular thing.

The Glasshouse in Collingwood. There's a new one started in West Melbourne just recently...
The Glasshouse finished almost two years ago and the West Melbourne one, if you're talking about the Royal Standard, that finished over a year ago.

·
Registered
369 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Cool, thanks for the suggestions! Not sure if I'll be able to do all three (depends what transport will be available) - I'll probably be staying in Fawkner.

Cheers,

Dave

·
Forum Contributor 2010-2016
1,708 Posts
Cool, thanks for the suggestions! Not sure if I'll be able to do all three (depends what transport will be available) - I'll probably be staying in Fawkner.

Cheers,

Dave
Aaahh! Beautiful Fawkner, Paris of the northern suburbs. You'll be able to watch the sun rise over Reservoir and set over Glenroy while listening to the low murmur of the Western Ring Road. If you have some time you could also tour the crematorium. Seriously, I hope you hear some good music (as well as Sonny Rollins) while you're in town.

·
Registered
369 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Missed the last comment before going. I got to the Sunday evening jam at Elwood, a jazz jam at Bennetts Lane (from which I felt very inadequate) and the Nighthawk blues jam on Thursday. Thanks for the suggestions!

Cheers,

Dave

1 - 9 of 9 Posts