Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Banned
1,812 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
http://blip.tv/play/AYKw91YC

I'm a big Robert Fripp fan. I just took a guitar course directed by him in Barcelona. One of his memorable quotes from that course was "Play with intention."

I found this music to be disappointing. It sounds over-produced. Does Robert Fripp's Soundscapes really go with smooth jazz? Collins has been a mainstay in prog rock for many years and I have enjoyed his playing in the past.

Robert Fripp has called Jimi Hendrix his favorite guitarist while at the same time, said Jimi Hendrix was "a sloppy player". Maybe it's better to be sloppy sometimes and have the magic. Rock and jazz was a lot more rough around the edges in the 60's and I miss that!

After a second listen, I would sum it up as pleasant but not memorable. I guess even pros can't hit one out of the ballpark every time. Maybe that was what was meant in the lyric "the scarcity of miracles."

·
Distinguished SOTW Member/Logician
26,005 Posts
One of his memorable quotes from that course was "Play with intention."
Are you sure that wasn't "play with pretension"? There's a lot of his stuff that I really dig, like Exposure and his work with King Crimson... but he's always been a really pretentious guy and this video seems par for the course. I don't favor the flat soprano tone myself. For true smooth jazz, it has to be a bit more sharp anyhow.

·
Undistinguished SOTW Member
723 Posts
I found this clip pleasant listening, but not memorable. It was interesting listening to Fripp in a commercial context. Somehow, I never found the time to really check him out, though I had been curious about him on an off, being a guitar player myself too.

Mel Collins sounds like all the other occasions I have heard him, pleasant but not very memorable.

·
Banned
1,812 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Yes for true smooth jazz which I don't like anyway so that would have made it worse for me.

The video was pretentious as most promotional videos are. I wish that musicians and video makers would start thinking of videos as an art form and not just an advertisement for the music. Maybe this has to do with the cost of making a video and the power of the label paying for it and the fact that record labels are generally not run by artists. On the other hand, musicians are often not good at business so it's beneficial for musicians and the labels, but maybe not for consumers.

The Peter Gabriel album produced by Robert Fripp was possibly one of the most pretentious albums ever made and also one of my favorite albums at that time. Pretentiousness is very much in the eye (or ear) of the beholder.

·
26,005 Posts
The Peter Gabriel album produced by Robert Fripp was possibly one of the most pretentious albums ever made and also one of my favorite albums at that time.
I still have that album. The only tune I can really recall was D.I.Y. I'm not sure if it's because I like it, or it's somewhat off beat hook. I always felt Gabriel peaked with Security. That's one of the few albums that gets my 5 star rating (meaning I like every tune on it).

·
Banned
1,812 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
"White Shadow" was my favorite on that album. I have a feeling you don't like Frippertronics. I also thought his production and playing on David Bowie's Scary Monsters was outstanding. It was way more aggressive than the PG album and similar to some of his playing on Exposure.

·
Distinguished SOTW Technician
3,408 Posts
Nothing dated as quickly as '70's 'Progressive' rock. Fripp's always struck me as a bit 'precious'--full of himself--but he is a very good musician. Zappa without the humour maybe??

·
26,005 Posts
I have a feeling you don't like Frippertronics.
No, I can dig it. A good example of a preference for it is the difference between Here Comes the Flood on both Gabriel's album and Fripp's. I prefer the Fripp version.

·
Banned
1,812 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
No, I can dig it. A good example of a preference for it is the difference between Here Comes the Flood on both Gabriel's album and Fripp's. I prefer the Fripp version.
Fripp's version is more minimal and that's all a great song needs. Too bad Robert Fripp isn't in demand as a producer as much as Brian Eno because he deserves to be.

Nothing dated as quickly as '70's 'Progressive' rock. Fripp's always struck me as a bit 'precious'--full of himself--but he is a very good musician. Zappa without the humour maybe??
In person, he (Robert) is hilarious.

·
Registered
6,360 Posts
I saw Mel Collins with King Crimson tonight in Boston. His woodwind playing was heavily featured and he sounded really great and very well mixed. The whole show was pretty damn thrilling. I only recognized the encore but the real fans were in heaven.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts