Sax on the Web Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Premium Member
18,676 Posts
That's great news Jared. :)

All the good advice has already been given, so just enjoy the experience and be openminded towards the group.

·
Premium Member
18,676 Posts
That's sounds even better Jared. :)

Good luck with the rehearsal and see our private conversation for some attention points when playing in a Big Band.

·
Premium Member
18,676 Posts
Part of sightreading is developing a habit of looking over a tune for its "road map" before playing - look for tempo indications, key changes, repeats, D.S., dynamics, and potential tough spots.

Enjoy the ride!
Those are indeed the important things to check out.

Normally the first tenor should point out those things to you if you are new to the party (I did the same last Tuesday rehearsal to a guest player on second tenor).

·
Premium Member
18,676 Posts
Congrats Jared. :)

In my bands, if you cannot make the rehearsal, you need to help find a sub to cover the chair for the rehearsal - and make sure that the music gets there! It's not just about you making the rehearsal to learn the parts - others that listen and pay attention need to hear your part played in the context of the harmony.

One of the bands that I played in rehearsed or performed every Monday night for 30+ years. In the 20 years that I was with them, there were very few nights that any of the books were not covered by someone. We had a broad list of subs for every instrument - quite a great network. It really makes a difference.
That's also how it works in my band (in whch I play for 15 years now).

Uber is pretty pricey, it's an hour 15 drive. Probably $150 total. I've heard back that it would be okay to miss this rehearsal. My wife also had some things to take care of tonight so it'll work out best this week to be home, but ill be practicing the material hard!
Jared, you can try to find a band member who lives in your area, who might want to pick you up.

·
Premium Member
18,676 Posts
Filled in for the 2nd alto player and we had a great tenor player sit in with the group in my seat. Fun to play the different parts, but definitely found myself overblowing trying to keep up with the brass. May need to take my high baffle piece for this group on alto :D
That might not be a very good idea Jared! One of the most important things of playing in a saxophone sections is blending with the rest and staying under the volume of the lead alto. High baffle pieces normally don't do a good job in Big Band sections because they disrupt the balance.

Better is to work on your airstream support with your current setup. If I remember well you have a 10mfan alto piece and Mark's mouthpieces always play easy and can take a lot of air, so I would concentrate on getting the full benefit out of that setup.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts