Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
274 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I want to experiment with some small/medium chamber bari mouthpieces (currently playing a lawton 8* b special, the special meaning it has an extra large chamber). Which ones are worth trying and somewhat affordable (don’t want to invest to much in an experiment before I have any clue how it’s going to turn out...)?

The JJ HR seems like it could fit the bill (medium chamber), any thoughts/other candidates for small or medium chambers?

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
2,006 Posts
I want to experiment with some small/medium chamber bari mouthpieces (currently playing a lawton 8* b special, the special meaning it has an extra large chamber).
That's interesting. Why do you say that "special" means that the mouthpiece has an extra large chamber ?

"Special" marked on Lawton pieces usually signifies that it is made of bell bronze. I have about 30 Lawton mouthpieces and several of them have a sticker on the original packaging that says "Special Model - Made of bell-bronze".

Rhys

·
Registered
274 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
That's interesting. Why do you say that "special" means that the mouthpiece has an extra large chamber ?

"Special" marked on Lawton pieces usually signifies that it is made of bell bronze. I have about 30 Lawton mouthpieces and several of them have a sticker on the original packaging that says "Special Model - Made of bell-bronze".

Rhys
That is weird indeed. No clue where I got that information from. I just remember looking it up. Apparently I got it wrong.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
2,006 Posts
The Lawton B model (in any material) is described as:

Model B. Medium chamber and baffle for brilliant full tone. Specifically designed for projection (big band work and Jazz playing).

I think they are well balanced and flexible pieces, especially good on baritone.

Good luck in your search.

Rhys

1 - 5 of 5 Posts