Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 20 of 90 Posts

·
Registered
841 Posts
I'm playing on a Rafael Navarro AR metal 8 tip opening. Best mouthpiece I have ever played but they are not around anyplace. I lucked out when I got mine almost a year ago. This one is a keeper for sure. It's got a slightly high baffle to it but is very full and rich sounding in all registers.

·
Registered
521 Posts
I'm playing a Medium Chamber modified HR mouthpiece with a baffle I made myself and it's perfect for me. I have a Berg Larsen and other mouthpieces but my homemade baffle mouthpiece is the one for me now. I like it because the baffle isn't too high and the medium chamber allows for good easy low notes. So I like a medium chamber with a baffle that's not too high.

·
Registered
638 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I'm playing a Medium Chamber modified HR mouthpiece with a baffle I made myself and it's perfect for me. I have a Berg Larsen and other mouthpieces but my homemade baffle mouthpiece is the one for me now. I like it because the baffle isn't too high and the medium chamber allows for good easy low notes. So I like a medium chamber with a baffle that's not too high.
Cool. Thanks for the reply.

·
Registered
997 Posts
I've had a John Thomas mpc that I'm just figuring out. It's med. chambered. Rico Royal 3 works. The mpc was adjusted by Mojo, same .115 tip.

·
Registered
3,015 Posts
What’s wrong with the Link? The “Vintage” STMs they are making now are quite good, only downside is the shank is tighter than most other mouthpieces (including the stock STM). I would definitely call this a medium chamber piece.

·
Banned
2,814 Posts
Jim! First of all, Merry freakin' Christmas! I'd consider giving Sakshama a holler and ask if he'd send you one of his Dukoff Stubby (he calls it a "Shorty") 'pieces to try. I have three and love each one. Think of them as an old NY ToneMaster Link with more of a rollover baffle, therefore, more punch and a tad brighter. I think you'd notice a huge difference from that stock NY Link you've been playing on.

J.

·
Registered
1,735 Posts
I keep going back to my chrome Quantum 7. More edge, really easy blowing, gives good intonation and control on my horns.

·
SOTW Administrator
26,216 Posts
I'm still playing my metal 10mfan Robusto 9.

·
Forum Contributor 2016, Distinguished SOTW Member
12,976 Posts
I am playing a stock otto link NY now, and have been for a little over a year now. I am however for various reasons looking for some medium/medium large chamber options to experiment with.

So what's everyone playing on?
I don't consider an Otto Link NY to be a Large chamber. It is more like an extra large as it is is bigger than the bore. A regular STM would be large. A Meyer tenor mouthpiece or a Vandoren V16 would be medium. A small chamber would be like a Soloist or one of the mouthpieces with a high baffle and squeezed chamber entrance I think. I'm surprised you can get the focus you need from a NY Link. The ones I have played have been really spread and fat in tone but not focused.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
13,069 Posts
I am playing a stock otto link NY now, and have been for a little over a year now. I am however for various reasons looking for some medium/medium large chamber options to experiment with.

So what's everyone playing on?
That describes most every piece I make..medium large to large with different baffle and setup configurations.

oh..metal...then that would be the Tribute and Mosaic as well as the custom versions of both.

·
Registered
122 Posts
Ken Barry described this mpc (Saxscape Downtown Studio) as being based on a Fred Lamberson-modified RPC he borrowed from a client around 2006. The chamber and baffle resembles a Lamberson 8DD. All I know is it plays very well and takes me where ever I need to go, tonally. I haven't played a whole lot of mouthpieces but this one is a keeper. Makes me want to try a few actual Lamberson pieces, if I can ever find some, that is...

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
13,069 Posts
With today's tech Fred's work can and eventually will be duplicated. I personally consider the work of anyone alive and working off limits...especially someone as deserving of respect as Lamberson.

I understand Kens piece is not a copy...just some random thoughts on the shape of things to come.

1 - 20 of 90 Posts