Sax on the Web Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
383 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been playing saxophone for four years now and got serious about jazz about a year and a half ago. In the last 6 months I've been working on playing through tunes. This one is one of my favorite ballads. I posted it originally for a scholarship to Berklee's Five week program. But I'd like to know what you guys think of it too.

Any criticism is welcome.

-Birdman
(Also I'm 16 years old if that helps and a sophomore in Highschool).

·
Registered
105 Posts
Wow,I cant believe you have been playing sax for only 4 years,you have a GREAT SOUND,INTONATION AND CONTROL are excellents,keep doing what you are doing and you'll touch the sky.I wish all my students were like you..All the best...

·
Registered
253 Posts
If you don't already do long tones, you should start. Use a tuner always. At first just practicing holding the note and once your intonation is solid enough do crescendos and such. The key is to keep the note in tune at any dynamic range. I am in no way saying your playing is bad (it's frickin great) but you ask any pro and they will tell you to do long tones. The earlier you start the better off you'll be. It may seem arduous and boring but you'll love the results.

Also about playing through tunes: When you find a tune don't just necessarily play through it. Find one with simple changes and/or not that many and put in some serious work. Take the song "lady bird" for example (it's in the real book). The first two bars are Dmaj. Spend a couple days if not maybe a week mastering the chord. Play the scale the WHOLE range of your horn. Play it in 3rds up and down your horn, do it in 4ths and 5ths. Start off slow, know each note in those patterns before you actually blow it. Once you master that chord do it for the next chord and the next one...These little things will help you start to hear things and also give you confidence to play some things you might now have thought of originally

·
Registered
1,411 Posts
Impressive playing. I have no idea what the Berklee 5 week program consists of or what the expectations are (reasonably high since it's Berklee) but you have my vote. Sounds like you know your sound concept: go for it!

Overtones, long tones, and full range scales will definitely help. If you haven't checked out Sigurd Rascher's "Top Tones for saxophone" book yet, then pick up a copy (I got mine new for $8). And I highly recommend Dave Liebman's "Developing a Personal Saxophone Sound." I'm going through it at the moment and finding lots of valuable information. And I suggest working on your vibrato with a metronome as well. It'll make the work sound cleaner IMO.

Nice job and good luck (if you haven't heard back from Berklee already)

·
More horns than I'm worthy of . . .
1,751 Posts
Your basic tone is quite pleasing - - your set- up fits you well, so don't mess with it. You seem to have a natural feel for improv. The only detail I can think of is that I would have loved to hear some nice vibrato on the held notes and maybe more volume changes, although it's hard to pick up on those on a recording like this, so maybe you're there already. Overall quite listenable. Keep at it.

·
Registered
383 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thank you for the responses and for actually watching my video(s)!

In response to what you all have said I do have the "Top Tones" book for saxophone and have just recently (last two weeks) started doing long tones. I figured if my tone sounded decent already then with the addition of long tones it could be great. I actually asked some local musicians about it and they said playing into a closet full of clothes helps your tone and I've heard some change in my sound since I started doing it. Also, regarding vibrato, I do have some work to do. I've been practicing it along with my long tones to try and perfect it hopefully by next year I'll have a solid foundation on most aspects of my tone.

Finally, with playing through tunes as I posted early I've been working on that. I've been trying to pick a new tune every two weeks and memorize the melody and changes. So far it's gotten a lot easier since I started with my current teacher last march.

Thanks,
Birdman

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
5,484 Posts
Really nice. You've got a good established tone. Just keep building on it! I can't add anything to the advice already given!

Oh yeah, Invitation was pretty nice too!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts