Sax on the Web Forum banner

McAfee popup ads

7K views 46 replies 24 participants last post by  ZootTheSim 
#1 ·
Today, every time I come on this site I keep getting McAfee pop up ads. It's making using the forum almost impossible. I only get them on here, so I'm wondering why????

#5 ·
I sincerely suggest re-checking / adjusting your browser settings including site specific settings, find and install the appropriate extensions "if needed" OR employ an alternative browser. No body enjoys such annoyances but I am sure you can find a solution. I have previously suggested Brave browser and while it functions well at preventing adds etc it can also be annoying.

#7 ·
I haven't a clue how to do all of that (and does any of it cost money?). Use an alternative browser?? Just to be able to use this site? No, I'll see if that damn McAfee pop up persists; if not, fine. If so, I may be out of here.

So far no response from the admin...

#8 ·
((I sincerely suggest re-checking / adjusting your browser settings including site specific settings, find and install the appropriate extensions "if needed" OR employ an alternative browser. No body enjoys such annoyances but I am sure you can find a solution. I have previously suggested Brave browser and while it functions well at preventing adds etc it can also be annoying.))

This is not going to happen. Thanks for this just the same. Current browser is current and works seamlessly everywhere else.

And here also, until quite recently.

#11 ·
When I tried it in full browser mode, not smartphone mode, Adblock wiped out the whole site. I had to whitelist SOTW on AdBlocker if I wanted to see the site.
I am getting an occasional pop up and I'm going thru a VPN that blocks most ads.

#12 ·
Today, in the middle of reading a post, I got jettisoned into MacAffee, not a pop up, not a separate window or tab, it just changed the URL to MacAffee. This is not tolerable! There was no click involved just apparently after about 10 seconds SOTW forces that be decided to send me flying head over heels into a location in cyberspace that I absolutely detest.

No!

No!
No!

#18 ·
Correct! I don't know computer lingo very well, so I called it a "pop-up", but now I see that's the wrong term. I don't know what to call it (other than a term that would be censored on here), but it fills the whole page. Hasn't happened yet this morning, though.

#14 ·
Am I the only person using a IPad or Mac Pro notebook? I installed Malwarebites awhile back this year. Have seen none (pop ups) on this site since.
When you can read anything on a site without getting blasted with ads why join in??
Should I read a "recommended reading". Maybe I'll learn what makes members upset.
click the Yes ?

#15 ·
Am I the only person using a IPad or Mac Pro notebook? I installed Malwarebites awhile back this year. Have seen none (pop ups) on this site since.
When you can read anything on a site without getting blasted with ads why join in??
Should I read a "recommended reading". Maybe I'll learn what makes members upset.
click the Yes ?
View attachment 4914
Your battery was too low to get to MacAffee, you need at least 45% charge!

#19 ·
I use AdblockPlus on a Mac laptop. I don't see any ads and I don't have the problem with McAfee that some of you are experiencing. Download Adblock Plus for free.

#31 ·
McAffee's is a free virus checker last time I looked. Its own settings may need to be looked at. Site specific settings may help. Add blocking add-ons / extensions may help as many have suggested. IF changing your settings change one setting at a time - if no change change it back and try something else. USING VPN can help but it can also slow down your experience - browsing speed.

#33 ·
If you're looking to switch up browsers, try Brave. It's Chrome-based but unlike Chrome, it's privacy-focused and does't allow Google tracking. Ads and at least third-party cookies are also blocked by default. While the browser doesn't seem like the problem now that some of you have a virus, something allowed the virus to download to your computer or tablet in the first place. Now might be a good time to replace it. Secure, Fast & Private Web Browser with Adblocker | Brave Browser

P.S. No associations, etc. I'm simply a saxophonist without any browser issues :)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.