Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi All,

Got a MC Gregory Model A mouthpiece here; 4A, 20L are the specs.

I don't know exactly what that translates to as far as the size of the tip opening, but I've heard the numbers are similar to Links. Anyway, point is, it's small, and I can't get a ton of sound out of it.

But, as many people seem to agree, they produce a very nice tone quality. Wondering if anybody has had any luck with opening these pieces up? I usually play mouthpieces around 6* (.095 i think?), wondering if I should experiment on this one a bit or leave as is and sell it, as it's not really of use to me in it's current state.

Thoughts?

·
Distinguished SOTW Member/Forum Contributor 2007
1,247 Posts
Spend some time to find the right (hard) reed, and you will find out that you can play just as loud as on your 6*. You will have to adjust your embouchure somewhat.
Opening up a mouthpiece will always change its sound, so you may lose the sound quality you like. Or it may become better :)

·
Distinguished SOTW Member/Sax Historian
7,107 Posts
Whatever you do, don't mess with the facing. These are rare. Someone will want it if you don't.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member.
2,090 Posts
4 is the tip opening, which is pretty close. 20 is the largest chamber. (They were 16, 18, and 20). I had my Hollywood Master tenor, which is very similar to the A, opened by Eric Grieffenhagen to .100 from a 4. He did a very nice job and I believe he preserved the characteristics of the original piece while opening it to something I could play. I realize that a lot of folks don't agree with refacing. My feeling is that there is no point in owning a mouthpiece you can't play, and the right refacer will be able to preserve and perfect the characteristics of the original, just as though it had faced with that tip opening to begin with. As far as value, If it's done by the right guy, it'll still have plenty.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member/Technician
21,031 Posts
Don't reface it. Based on ebay sales of these, you may have a $400+ mouthpiece even in today's economy. Why chance a reface that "may" be better or worse?

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
1,596 Posts
Don't reface it. Based on ebay sales of these, you may have a $400+ mouthpiece even in today's economy. Why chance a reface that "may" be better or worse?
Correct me if I'm wrong but I thought only he Alto pieces where worth a lot.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member/Mouthpiece Maker
1,816 Posts
Leaving aside the collectibility/value issue and treating the piece simply as a tool -- yes, these can be opened up sympathetically to the original design. Try it with the appropriate reed strength first, though. If it's still too small a sound, there may be some room for improvement in the piece or not, depending on the exact shape of it.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks! I will mess around with some harder reeds before I consider having any work done on it or selling it.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member/Forum Contributor 2007
1,247 Posts
Thanks! I will mess around with some harder reeds before I consider having any work done on it or selling it.
Rico Jazz Select 4M will probably be a good choice. Worked well for me on a .075" HR Vintage Vandoren. (.075" is the opening of an Otto Link 4*)
I took out my Model A 5B 20 s/n 4260 and tested the RJS 4M on it. And it worked super well. The sound is soft and dark, which probably mostly comes from the large chamber, but I could get plenty power out of it when I gave it full throttle. (It has a .075" opening and a long facing (The "B") )

1 - 10 of 10 Posts