Sax on the Web Forum banner

Maybe getting into a Bari.

2K views 23 replies 11 participants last post by  Gange 
#1 ·
I'm expecting to come into some money in the next month or so and I'd like to pick up a Bari Sax. Being a month out I figure now was a good time to start reading reviews and figuring out what I would like to go with. I've considered going Vintage, and almost swung on a 12M until the wife pulled the funds for a house :soapbox:. Ideally I'd like something with a Low A. I've looked at a Kessler Solist, Barone dark gold, and some Yamaha's. Ideally not looking to spend more then $3500. I know to swing on a new Barone I'm about a grand off from the ideal price point. I'm not sure whats out there on the used market for that price range.

On Reverb I also see a couple Antigua Winds Powerbell bari sax's in both a nice looking black nickel and classic lacquer.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thank you

#2 ·
FWIW, after you amass 50+ posts and 6 months since joining SotW, you’ll have access to the MarketPlace.

If you really want a low A, that’ll knock out most of the vintage offerings. If you do go vintage, the Buescher TT is a great horn as well.

I don’t know the Kessler, Barone, and similar, baris very well, so I’ll defer on that.

Finding a good price on a used horn is the way to go - especially if you are unsure of your goals on the horn. If you were to buy a new horn for $4000, you can be sure to lose a quick kilodollar as soon as you turn around to sell it.

#3 ·
You should be able to secure Yanagisawa stencil (Vito) for that kind of money if you keep your eyes peeled.
Build quality on these is superior to the Taiwanese copies of Yanagisawa horns.
Resale also far better.
Alternatively an 11M would be a good option if you are willing to adjust to its ergonomics.
The later 11M’s branded Armstrong are great value for money.
May even be able to score a YBS61 if you’re lucky.

#5 ·
Quinn has a YBS52 on eBay at the moment for around $2600.
I'm sure he'd let it go for $2300 or so.
Good buying at that price.
The money I was expecting hit sooner then expected. Whats your opinion on Mint YBS 52 for 4K and its local?

I've also made the offer to quinn for 2300.

#6 ·
Good luck on your search for your first baritone.

Be sure to let us know how it goes.

I went this route: I got a King Zephyr low Bb because I could not afford a low A, and the King is a bargain, not favored in the marketplace.
(I think it is b/c they stayed split bell.)

Great horn that served me well for many years.

After saving my money for several years I was able to get a Taiwan made low A.

I wanted a pro level horn and could not wait until I could afford a low A to get back into the baritone.

#7 ·
I like the Quinn option because it still leaves you enough wiggle room for a full overhaul, a personalized setup, a decent mouthpiece and an SKB-455W or something like it.

(Personnaly, I'd drive to Boston and jump on this : (https://forum.saxontheweb.net/showthread.php?377622-Bam-quot-Hitech-quot-baritone-saxophone-case) smoking deal.

A local mint YBS 52 for 4K is just a tad pricey but I guess that depends on what mint means. If that one is at all negotiable, it's worth checking out. The only problem with that option is that if it's at the top edge of your budget, it means you can't take it in for a check up, and you can't get yourself a decent mouthpiece...

#9 ·
The Wife just fully gave the ok on a Bari, which is a good thing.

When I was looking at picking up a 12M I grabbed a Otto Link STM and some soft reeds, its just been sitting in my desk drawer waiting on some love.

I'll be messaging Quinn today about the pad life etc to make sure its ready to go.

The Local one the guy wanted 4800 firm initially, ended up offering him 3500 and he came back with 4. In his add he calls out a small dent between the Low A and Low B Flat tone holes on the bell. Comes with a Berg Mouthpiece and a Selmer C star. From talking with him he played it in college and then went into a non music trade and doesn't play it. I may end up trying to split the difference with him at 3750, I'm willing to go slightly over budget if I need to.

My goal is to avoid G.A.S. and constantly buy and sell. So really what I'm looking at is something I'm going to buy once and enjoy for a long time.

#14 ·
I've got normal size hands, this is my first attempt at really playing a Bari. I honked on one when I was in high school extremely briefly, so I have no idea how my hands will fit on the keys. I know its going to take some time getting used to it.

#15 ·
Best of luck with the Bari when you get going. I recently got a Bari, as very few affordable used Baris show up on the European side of the Atlantic, you are very lucky to have a good choice of used instruments. I ended up getting a low A Bari new from Thomann of Germany, as a newbie i can't really offer you any advice, only for me a harness was the way to go as opposed to a neckstrap, these are heavy beasts, also as not having larger hands, finding a playing position to suit me was interesting..............but i will say that you are in for a treat, happy honking !!

#17 ·
I got the horn today. While I was waiting on Fedex to deliver went down to the local music store and grabbed a Yamaha 5C mouthpiece and Rovner Ligature.

The horn is in a little rougher condition lacquer wise then I was thinking but with that being said I'm pretty happy. The Bari is a blast to play, don't know why I didn't start playing the Bari sooner. Honestly I've been more of a Tenor Sax player then I have anything else.

#18 ·
I got the horn today. While I was waiting on Fedex to deliver went down to the local music store and grabbed a Yamaha 5C mouthpiece and Rovner Ligature.

The horn is in a little rougher condition lacquer wise then I was thinking but with that being said I'm pretty happy. The Bari is a blast to play, don't know why I didn't start playing the Bari sooner. Honestly I've been more of a Tenor Sax player then I have anything else.
Get yourself the GEMINI Harness, they are out of Canada....BEST harness you will ever buy! Congrats on your BARI.

#21 ·
Hi, welcome to the big horn community ! Baritone sax is the best workhorse to improve your air support and your embouchure. Your tenor playing will improve !
Being no fan of harnesses which kind of cripple you when standing up for soloing, I use the XL version of a quite common Neotech strap . It spreads the weight around your neck instead of straight onto it.

https://www.amazon.com/Neotech-Soft...EF67ZC15H23&psc=1&refRID=FE8PSMHNFEF67ZC15H23

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.