I may have a chance to buy a 51 Selmer SBA alto later this week for
$2k or +/- a couple hundred, I have only seen some pictures of the
sax taken with a phone camera. Everything looked right but no real
close ups of any quality, any hints on things that could be a problem with
this sax. If I don't like it will I be able to make a few bucks from the horn,
it is my intention to keep this horn for myself and sell my recently overhauled
THC alto, but I will not be able to see it or play it until Friday. Thanks
for any and all help and I am hoping I will really love this sax because
I have always wanted one, but we will see.

·
Registered
1,018 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
You know for someone named grumps you have helped me out often :), thanks, so what if like most horns
I buy that have leaks it won't sound a low b??

·
Distinguished SOTW Member/Logician
25,969 Posts
Bring a wine cork with you. And if you can get a low B at all and it has a gurgle, if dropping the wine cork down the bell seems to fix it, then it's probably more of an acoustic problem than mechanical. And if curious, here's what a relacquer can look like:

Yeah, I know... that doesn't make it easy. But even a relacquered one that you're not happy with after fixing up should get you your 2K back and more.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
1,337 Posts
If no wine cork, use the plastic end cap that plugs into the neck receiver at the top of the horn, prior to storage in the case. Works just as well as a cork dropped into the bell for gurgling.

·
Registered
1,018 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
So I figure I should let everyone know what happened, I found out about the horn from a poorly worded craigslist ad, that
went something like this, 51 selmer altogibson les paul studio lite, fender strat 93, and it was essentially a dead post because
it was well over a month old, I contacted the guy he had the horn, told him I would be down we talked price he thought he
would take $2k but wasn't sure. I set up a time to meet him and during the day contact him to verify we are still on for that
time, he says he has to work late we can work it out the next day. Later that night he calls me and tells me someone else is
coming over tonight to look at the horn would I up the price of the horn, I said yes I will, calls me later and tells me he
sold the horn for $2500, I am upset but c'est la vie. Next day while searching craigslist I find he posted an ad at the time
he was supposed to meet me for the horn for $4k obo using the info I told him about what sax it was, I was completely above
board about the value of the horn and also told him horn prices are depressed because of the economy which he said he
understood because of the low prices he got for the guitars. Turns out it was an original lacquer horn in the chesterfield
case serial number 47xxx so if anyone bought the horn in NSB, Florida I would love to know. Well going to look at a
27xxx BA later this week, and so the hunt continues, any and all comments appreciated.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
1,337 Posts
Lesson learned: -never- divulge ANY info other than what's necessary to view the horn. People do sh*tty stuff, so you have to be prepared. Process: 1) view the item 2) keep your mouth shut 3) offer a $deal$ to them 4) buy it -immediately- or walk away and move on. Anything else is opening yourself up to crap like this.

I once(lonnnng ago) responded to a local newspaper ad for a Selmer M6 alto for sale. I went by, took a look, talked $$$ and we settled on $150, cash. Yup, you heard me right....unfortunately, I didn't have the cash -with- me, so I went by the ATM and was back in about 10 minutes. OOPS, seller reconsidered, upped the price to $175. I countered with $162.50 and walked out with a sax and a very important lesson learned. And, fwiw, I didn't get too pissed with the seller, as I brought it all on myself.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts