Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1,491 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,
Anyone have any idea about the Maxtone serial numbers? And the Prefixes?

For example...: N 43xxx

I've run across this particular serial number, the man contacted me through a friend hoping to sell his soprano. He doesn't know anything about saxes, he bought it a while back and never managed to learn how to play, (claims to have never taken it out). My problem is he doesn't know what the model is, (can't find it), and I'm hoping to save my time by not running out to look for myself if it isn't worth it.

-Bubba-

·
Distinguished SOTW Coffee Guru
39,554 Posts
Hello Bubba,
there are no charts that I am aware of for Maxtone saxophones. The only hope for you is to get in touch with the company they might be able to help you
http://www.maxtone.com.tw/

·
Registered
1,491 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Miladro,

I've pretty well came to the same conclusion. I was hoping someone would respond on here considering how many of us just chill on here. :D

Maybe someone'll happen to read with a similar serial number or previous knowledge. :)

-Bubba-

·
Distinguished SOTW Coffee Guru
39,554 Posts
the reality is that Maxtone is a relatively new company with very little history, they are not even a maker of saxophone they are simply trading in saxophones that they buy both in China and Taiwan

·
Registered
1,491 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Very true. I forgot to mention, I also e-mailed them a few minutes before this post. If/When they respond I'll also be sure to post (here) what they tell me. Hopefully it will be more about their general serial system then the specific horn.

-Bubba-

·
Just a guy who plays saxophone.
3,999 Posts
Very true. I forgot to mention, I also e-mailed them a few minutes before this post. If/When they respond I'll also be sure to post (here) what they tell me. Hopefully it will be more about their general serial system then the specific horn.

-Bubba-
They are generally very responsive to email questions, and usually get back to you within a day or two (don't forget the time difference) in my experience. I was going to order an alto through them about six months ago before finding one in the US.

Interesting note about serial numbers for Maxtone saxes. Mine doesn't have one. It is one of the made in Taiwan models, and I know that for sure because it is the sx-63 model that isn't available from their China supplier. According to Annie (my email contact): sx=Taiwan, sxc=China. When I asked her about serial numbers, she said if I ordered one through them that a serial number and place of origin could be stamped on in the usual place at no extra charge if I requested one. That would lead me to believe they are randomly applied at a wholesale distributor's request.

My alto was new when I bought it, as it had only been play tested a few times. It played okay as it was, but after having my tech give it his "new horn set-up" it is a great playing sax with a lot of depth to the tone. Especially when considering how little I paid for it. The pads are not the greatest, but they will do for now. I don't play a lot of alto, so this was a great investment for me.

Good luck to you if you purchase this soprano, but I would take the time to go check it out if I could.

·
Registered
1,491 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Bahahahaha! I got you all! :D

But really... swperry: Thanks, I am keeping in mind the time difference, I assumed they would take a some time to get back to me, I'm really not in a rush to move on another horn anyway. Hopefully they keep track of the serials and not just throwing numbers at random on there..

-Bubba-

1 - 10 of 10 Posts