Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone every heard of Maxtone "French engineering" sopranos? How are they for a beginning soprano player? I've come across a like new one for $200, worth it?

·
Distinguished SOTW Coffee Guru
38,837 Posts
Maxtone has both Chinese and Taiwanese saxophones, the latter being better an more expensive. Maxtone quality, definitely when it comes to the Chinese horns, of which I think this is an example, has been discussed several times and it is sketchy. Remember that , although possible, the words Cheap and Soprano hardly ever go well together. I wouldn't put much value onto the " French Engineering" words of qualification, it just means that it is a Chinese made copy of a French saxophone.

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Right but for that price, and considering that's about my budget and I'm just beginning to play soprano (and only for classical quartet playing) is it a good deal? The other thing is that it's local so I can play it before I buy too.

·
38,837 Posts
always a good Idea to play before buying

·
38,837 Posts
Yeah agreed, so is there any way to tell if it's Taiwanese or Chinese made?
Let's see.......price? A cheap Maxtone is likely to be Chinese.

·
Administrator
13,985 Posts
With these budget priced sopranos, I would not even flirt with the idea of plopping down any money for them without being able to thoroughly play test the exact example you are contemplating buying with a good tuner by your side. Preferably with a few dependable mouthpieces as well.

Bad intonation is epidemic with these rock bottom soprano horns in particular.

·
Just a guy who plays saxophone.
3,569 Posts
Yeah agreed, so is there any way to tell if it's Taiwanese or Chinese made?
Not really, as none of the Maxtone saxes I have seen even have a serial number...I have only seen a handful of altos and tenors in person though (never a soprano). I was even going to order a tenor direct from Maxtone Taiwan, and when I asked about the serial number their response was to ask me if I wanted to choose a number or just have them stamp one on. I didn't order one (not for that reason).

I do have a Maxtone alto that is from Taiwan according to the paperwork in the case. It says sx63A/AB, it also had a sticker on the case saying the same. It is a 2010 model, and,they only produce the 63 model in Taiwan. Some of the models are sxc (C = China). I know this because I asked what the difference was when I was in contact with the Maxtone company. Some models are produced in both locations and some only in one or the other.

My alto is great after a good amount of work from my tech (all poor quality control stuff), and it cost me about the same as the one you are looking at.

I don't know if any of that helped, but good luck!

·
Distinguished SOTW member/, Official SOTW Sister
19,203 Posts
If the quality of the soprano sax is anything like the fluglehorn that was given to my daughter.....
Avoid it like the plague. Pitchy as hell and can't be played in ensemble setting.
Now I know why the guy just GAVE it to her.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member/Technician
21,030 Posts
The ones I have worked on were terrible. So out of tune that if you tuned to C2, C3 was so sharp it was a C#. No way to play it in tune and they are hard to keep in playing condition.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
13,023 Posts
A good soprano sax is enough of a challenge for a first time player, that I would never recommend a crummy one - especially for quartet work.

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I contacted MusicalWheel about the Venus sopranos and they won't have any more until October and unfortunately, I can't wait that long to get one.

·
Forum Contributor 2017
7,478 Posts
Forgive me if you stated it already. What is your budget?

B

·
Registered
475 Posts
I contacted MusicalWheel about the Venus sopranos and they won't have any more until October and unfortunately, I can't wait that long to get one.
Sure you can't wait just two months? I have both a Venus curvie and a Venus straight and they are very well built, very nice horns, and cost new under $300 from MusicalWheel. I found mine both used for evenless and they were both good purchases (here on SOTW). Might be worth the wait....

·
Forum Contributor 2017
7,478 Posts
I don't want to spend more than $200, but I could probably find a bit more money if it's that much more worth it.
Are you going to make a serious try at learning? If so then $200 will not be enough for much of anything that will create a good basis for learning.

An alto for $200 just maybe but a soprano you will need to either get lucky on ebay or spend about $350-400.

I did see an excellent condition early Mark 6 copy Antigua Winds soprano on ebay close to your budget last week.

B

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Sure you can't wait just two months? I have both a Venus curvie and a Venus straight and they are very well built, very nice horns, and cost new under $300 from MusicalWheel. I found mine both used for evenless and they were both good purchases (here on SOTW). Might be worth the wait....
No it's not that I don't want to wait, trust me I would. But I need to start rehearsing this quartet in a few weeks (a month tops).

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Are you going to make a serious try at learning? If so then $200 will not be enough for much of anything that will create a good basis for learning.

An alto for $200 just maybe but a soprano you will need to either get lucky on ebay or spend about $350-400.

I did see an excellent condition early Mark 6 copy Antigua Winds soprano on ebay close to your budget last week.

B
What's the model name of the antigua so I could just keep it in mind?

1 - 20 of 41 Posts