Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
245 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I play with a circus band once a year - and this year we were out on the arena floor, playing to a 5000+ seat arena with no amplification. The notes don't go below the staff much, and I don't really need volume below mezzo-fortissimo.

I used my Ebolin piece, but really want something louder for next year. My big question is: what would you pull out for absolute maximum volume? (Metal or not.)

I've got a LeBayle which is annoyingly buzzy, but it seems like it has more buzz than loudness.

I've got a "designed by Brilhart" metal piece which may work - I just haven't played it much. (Hate metal.)

I got a Knoel Scott 7 from SYOS (https://www.syos.co/en/shop/products/signature-saxophone-mouthpiece/knoel-scott-baritone) - i like the sound, and it's louder, but is there anything more?

On tenor I'd use my Berg 115/1, or go to something like a 120/0 - but I've never tried a Berg on bari, and don't want to shell out hundreds for something that might be just another brick in the mouthpiece drawer.

·
Forum Contributor 2015-17
1,919 Posts
My loudest mpc is a JJ Jet. Has some bite and buzz but also plenty of power. Next is a metal berg 105/1.

·
Distinguished SOTW Coffee Guru
39,533 Posts
Of course in this type of thread you end up with lists of names, and still won’t tell you personally all that much if you can’t try them.

There are many loud baritone pieces and the " to go “ mouthpiece for most people around these parts would be a Berg Larsen (whether HR or Metal they have identical internal chamber).

I would also recommend a Wagner ( which is what equipped Keilwerth for many years) or A Brancher B series.

Good luck!

·
Distinguished SOTW Member.
1,999 Posts
Many (if not most) Bergs for baritone can be ****** at least... even a "0" chamber Berg Larsen (on bari) cannot overcome the same types of mouthpiece that do the trick on alto and tenor: mouthpieces with medium/medium large chamber and a high step baffle.

What you really need on a baritone is the loudness but you need to keep the "meat" (the punch on low-mid frequiences).

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
TENOR, soprano, alto, baritone
7,780 Posts
If your 'Designed By Arnold Brilhart' mouthpiece is a Level Air, it should produce plenty of volume. The facing of the mouthpiece and the reed you use along with your physical capabilities will determine your 'projection', but let me say that in an arena of 5000 people, and without amplification, you basically will not be heard, regardless.

If this is what you have and its a 7* or higher, a Hartmann Fibereed 'Hemp' Medium would be outstanding on it. This is exactly what I'm using on my modern low A baritone and I was fortunate to find a 9* in essentially new condition.

However, I think you should concentrate on playability and tone quality rather than trying to do the impossible. Still, the Level Air can fill that role too with the right set-up.

·
Registered
1,616 Posts
Phil Tone Isotope is the loudest piece I ever played by a LONG shot. I've owned Bergs and I own the 2 Metalites that Steve Neff reviewed. None are close to the Isotope.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
2,952 Posts
Seconding the RPC recommendation. I played a Metalite for years and was never accused of being too quiet, but then I found a good Berg 130/0 and it made the Metalite seem timid by comparison.

Then I got the RPC and it could easily play what feels like twice as loud as the Berg at full-bore. It can also easily play softer than the Berg's best pianissimo.

Call up Ron, he'll get you sorted. All of my RPCs for tenor and bari (two each) are the most capable of playing loud of anything I've got. It's not all they can do, but the option is always there.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member/Logician
26,486 Posts
Even better: Rico Metalite. Woweee!!
Now I play RPC on bari and don't lack volume. But the bari player in my band, of which sax isn't his main axe, needed more volume. Based on the zillions of recommendations here over the years for Rico Metalites, I suggested he try one. Sure, RPC is great, but Metalites can be had for less than thirty bucks brand new; and you don't have to wait half a year or more to get one. So he got one for about twenty-five bucks and now we can hear him.

·
Registered
876 Posts
I have a HR Berg 130/3 that I think the previous owner had made as a custom order. (It's a modern Berg made in the Belgium) I can keep up well with the tenors in the band I play with as far as sheer volume is concerned. I am curious about the RPC Bullet Chamber design, it looks like it has some good Bergie Mojo to it. Two of my Bari playing friends have metal Ted Klum London models but they are only available currently in HR. There's a lot of good choices here, pick out something and then make it work.

·
Registered
220 Posts
I have several Bergs, a Dukoff Super Power Chamber, Brilhart Level Air, Wagner, and RPC 110B. All much louder than an Ebolin. For maximum volume, though, I'd go for my Jody Jazz Classic, with the spoiler in, of course.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2013-
5,431 Posts
My answer to this question was to use the Vandoren V16 and the Rouseau.

https://www.wwbw.com/Vandoren-V16-E...MI0d-iucnd5gIV8v_jBx3IGAImEAAYAiAAEgLbMvD_BwE

https://www.wwbw.com/E-Rousseau-JDX-Baritone-Saxophone-Mouthpiece-467237.wwbw

I found these two to be the best compromise of maximum volume and projection, while maintaining the more distinctive and full baritone horn that is a real baritone voice.

I would further note that the Rouseau caused some trouble in the upper ranges with split bell horns.

I play with a circus band once a year - and this year we were out on the arena floor, playing to a 5000+ seat arena with no amplification. The notes don't go below the staff much, and I don't really need volume below mezzo-fortissimo.

I used my Ebolin piece, but really want something louder for next year. My big question is: what would you pull out for absolute maximum volume? (Metal or not.)

I've got a LeBayle which is annoyingly buzzy, but it seems like it has more buzz than loudness.

I've got a "designed by Brilhart" metal piece which may work - I just haven't played it much. (Hate metal.)

I got a Knoel Scott 7 from SYOS (https://www.syos.co/en/shop/products/signature-saxophone-mouthpiece/knoel-scott-baritone) - i like the sound, and it's louder, but is there anything more?

On tenor I'd use my Berg 115/1, or go to something like a 120/0 - but I've never tried a Berg on bari, and don't want to shell out hundreds for something that might be just another brick in the mouthpiece drawer.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts