Sax on the Web Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
395 Posts
Fantastic playing, swinging like mad, beautiful sound, expressive, great lines, can't ask for any more than .. all .. of that!

Thanks for posting, I'll check out more of his playing, great stuff!

DC

·
Registered
320 Posts
Great playing. Also you see the difference between American clubs and European by watching the video. There are actually people in the club and they are paying attention..............
+1!

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
3,410 Posts
Yes just wonderfull !
Thanks
Saxobari

·
Registered
279 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
well its not everywhere the same in Europe..but i think this gentlemen would get attention whereever he plays!
heres is some other great stuff of him..

anyone got an idea of what horn he is playing?

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
1,210 Posts
Although I find the overall music rather vanilla, I really like his lines. Quite tasteful and logical. And in the pocket. Good live experience.

·
Banned
2,814 Posts
Man, I think he sounds great! Pretty much the complete package as far as I'm concerned. Chops, lines, taste, sound, etc. all in abundance. There must be something in the water over there in Italy. Along with Daniele Scannapieco, there's some serious tenor playing happening over there! Here's some Daniele, in case you're not familiar with him and his playing:

[

·
Premium Member
18,609 Posts
I just found him on you tube, he is a real great player!!
enjoy!
Wow, great player, thanks for posting. I hear a lot of Dexter in his playing.

Another great player form Italy is Max D'Avola, check this clip:

·
Registered
59 Posts
Borgani Pearl Gold tenor and saxscape mouthpiece.
Not exactly, in this video Max used to play with a Silver Perl Jubilee Borgani. Now he's playing with a L.A. Ripamonti V-Jazz Tenor. This last Tenor is produced in the northern part of Italy, quite cheap and very good.

I always prefear the Borgani but the V-Jazz has been a nice surprise.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2008
1,555 Posts
Not exactly, in this video Max used to play with a Silver Perl Jubilee Borgani. Now he's playing with a L.A. Ripamonti V-Jazz Tenor. This last Tenor is produced in the northern part of Italy, quite cheap and very good.

I always prefear the Borgani but the V-Jazz has been a nice surprise.
Yes. I met and talked to Max Ionata several times and confirm he switched more than 1 year ago to a Taiwan-made tenor banded LA Ripamonti, which I also owned for a few weeks and sold immediately without regrets. I took a brief (expensive) masterclass in his home: i found he surprisingly sounds better on the Ripamonti than the Borgani.

The most impressive part of Max is that he learned to play really recently and started recording only in 2005.
Check his site (also in English): http://www.maxionata.com/index.html

·
(formerly borganiboy)
5,566 Posts
Old thread but i'm blown away at the moment with Max Ionato.What a player.Very juicy lines.Great sound.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Yea! I've been listening to Max for the past several months. He is one of the best I have ever heard. He's my new favorite player. I've downloaded everything I could find on him from iTunes.

·
Registered
934 Posts
But the Navarro Maestra really gives him a great warm and controlled sound....
I love his sound on that "But not for me " video. Fantastic.

Ive watched him on many You Tube clips and when he played the Maestra, those remains my favourite sound.

Because of his sound on that, and also in a masterclass he gives in Moscow ( link below ) where he is also playing his Maestra, I bought a Maestra from a friend.
Been on it 6 months now, but still dont sound like Ionata.

I dont understand why not. Thinking of asking my friend for my money back !!!!!

Anyway, here is the masterclass.

·
Registered
8,390 Posts
Great playing. Also you see the difference between American clubs and European by watching the video. There are actually people in the club and they are paying attention..............
It seems cities like to have jazz clubs and Major League Baseball but support neither.
I really enjoy his playing. Nice sound and clear ideas.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts