Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
There seems to be very little info out there regarding these horns. From what I can tell, they were very few made. They were build in the 30's / 40's in Paris (France, not Texas)....and that's about all I know.

The one I have is in overal good shape. I cleaned it years ago and it looked very nice but after being in its case since, it turned pretty much black so I'll be cleaning it again this week. It does have a few spots where the silver rubbed off such as on some keys. It also had the bottom key guard resoldered and it should be redone, one key guard is only connected on 2 of 3 spots. I haven't played it in years but I do recall it played really well.

Does anyone have any info on these horns? If I sell, what should I be expecting to get for it?

http://s258.photobucket.com/albums/hh252/Doc74/Boiste Maurice/

·
Distinguished SOTW Member/Forum Contributor 2009
7,867 Posts
Nice looking horn. I have no idea what price it would fetch, sorry.
How do you know it was made in Paris? The bell suggests another place. Still in France though.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Nice looking horn. I have no idea what price it would fetch, sorry.
How do you know it was made in Paris? The bell suggests another place. Still in France though.
La Varenne St. Hilaire is part of the greater Paris area.

It sure is a nice horn. I will clean it up and do the necessary repairs. I just wish silver wouldn't tarnish as fast as it does.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
1,679 Posts
There seems to be very little info out there regarding these horns. From what I can tell, they were very few made. They were build in the 30's / 40's in Paris (France, not Texas)....and that's about all I know.

The one I have is in overal good shape. I cleaned it years ago and it looked very nice but after being in its case since, it turned pretty much black so I'll be cleaning it again this week. It does have a few spots where the silver rubbed off such as on some keys. It also had the bottom key guard resoldered and it should be redone, one key guard is only connected on 2 of 3 spots. I haven't played it in years but I do recall it played really well.

Does anyone have any info on these horns? If I sell, what should I be expecting to get for it?

http://s258.photobucket.com/albums/hh252/Doc74/Boiste Maurice/
If i remember correctly, Marcel Boiste was a music store in Paris that specialized in strings. As i recall, there were 2 brothers and they were luthiers; also that Boiste saxophones are stencils (Pierrets?) often with fancy keyguards.

Doctorsax has one on his site...http://doctorsax.biz/recent_archive_07.htm

To maintain the shine you might consider buying a silver protection bag from Randy or a silver wrap from Mosplace (SOTW members)

As for value...I don't believe demand is that great so i would guess $500-$1000, depending on condition.

If you do a search you'll find that there has been some discussion of Boiste saxes on SOTW.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2016
17,986 Posts
Jeez...insert your favorite French maker here :____________

Anyone's guess, really...past conversation seems not to have determined any solid provenance. Very cool horn, however.

Based on the scant evidence, I'd tend to agree w/ Xax...vintage French horn, '30's-'40's probably, has a front-F....$500-1000 seems right.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Jeez...insert your favorite French maker here :____________

Anyone's guess, really...past conversation seems not to have determined any solid provenance. Very cool horn, however.

Based on the scant evidence, I'd tend to agree w/ Xax...vintage French horn, '30's-'40's probably, has a front-F....$500-1000 seems right.
Hopefully after a bit of cleanup I can get it closer to the grand mark. That would bring me a bit closer to obtaining a baritone.

It sure is a cool horn!

·
17,986 Posts
Then you take the award ! Nice detective work...maybe it wasn't a stencil at all, but an in-house instrument. That's pretty cool....

Kinda reminds me of the Italian-made Desidera. Folks here were wracking their brains trying to ascribe it to one of the Italian factories, and ultimately it turned out they were their very own company, for a short period of time...

In your one reply, you've provided more info than the few previous threads combined....

When it's up and poppin', do let us know your impressions....

·
Distinguished SOTW Member/Forum Contributor 2009
7,867 Posts

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Then you take the award ! Nice detective work...maybe it wasn't a stencil at all, but an in-house instrument. That's pretty cool....

Kinda reminds me of the Italian-made Desidera. Folks here were wracking their brains trying to ascribe it to one of the Italian factories, and ultimately it turned out they were their very own company, for a short period of time...

In your one reply, you've provided more info than the few previous threads combined....

When it's up and poppin', do let us know your impressions....
See, now I want to keep it : ) I'll be sure to give you a review of how she plays!

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
1,679 Posts
I found a sliver of info on these saxes, apparently there were a few handmade Boiste saxophones before Maurice Boiste started working for Selmer. This was translated from German.

http://translate.google.com/transla...ice+boiste%22&start=10&hl=en&sa=N&prmd=ivnsfd

Original link: http://www.artemos.de/boiste.html
The following two threads seem to contradict each other and to some degree the post above as well...

http://forum.hardware.fr/hfr/Discussions/Musique/maurice-boiste-sujet_73840_1.htm

http://webcache.googleusercontent.c...d=1&hl=en&ct=clnk&gl=us&source=www.google.com ...(scroll down to comment #131)

FWIW. Francophone SOTWer Jazzbrass had a Maurice Boiste tenor a few years back but he's not active here these days. He seemed to think they were Pierrets (stencils).
see post here...http://forum.saxontheweb.net/showthread.php?58626-Super8-stencil-on-ebay&highlight=boiste

He had a nice site with fotos of several really nice French saxophones and brasswinds but his site doesn't come up anymore.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Yeah there's no real solid info there. I did find these pics under Pierret so if they have it right then that's what it is! Probably....

http://www.saxpics.com/the_gallery/Pierret/super8/tenor/silver/

Both are identical to mine. I know can confirm that one of my upper keys is bent and not slanted on purpose. It may seem obvious but you never know with these obscure horns..

http://s258.photobucket.com/albums/hh252/Doc74/Boiste Maurice/?action=view&current=MysterySax007.jpg

The one thing mine does not have is that elaborate lh lower guard, and I don't see evidence of missing posts either. Strange...

I'll clean the sax up, see how she blows and then see if I can get a few bucks for it, if not then I'll just keep it and enjoy it.

·
17,986 Posts
Here's the thing....that photo gallery on saxpics wasn't loading well for me so I will let someone else cross-reference. Saxpics is great, but sometimes not the most accurate or consistent.

I noted from the album titles that there is a Boiste sax in the Pierret section. In order to make a solid ascription...what one needs to do is cross-reference the Boiste with a horn know to have been produced by Pierret (that would be one engraved either Pierret or one of the KNOWN stencil names of Pierret).

Can you do that ? If you can, and if the Boiste shows the same specs and detailing as a KNOWN Pierret-made horn....there you have it. But if not, then...not. (I guess what I am saying is just because a Boiste is in the Pierret section on Saxpics doesn't conclude much of anything ~ that's not to dis the site, because it's a great reference tool overall, just is a bit shaky in some places).

I don't have the time at the moment to do that myself...but cross-referencing photos shouldn't take long.....

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Here's the thing....that photo gallery on saxpics wasn't loading well for me so I will let someone else cross-reference. Saxpics is great, but sometimes not the most accurate or consistent.

I noted from the album titles that there is a Boiste sax in the Pierret section. In order to make a solid ascription...what one needs to do is cross-reference the Boiste with a horn know to have been produced by Pierret (that would be one engraved either Pierret or one of the KNOWN stencil names of Pierret).

Can you do that ? If you can, and if the Boiste shows the same specs and detailing as a KNOWN Pierret-made horn....there you have it. But if not, then...not. (I guess what I am saying is just because a Boiste is in the Pierret section on Saxpics doesn't conclude much of anything ~ that's not to dis the site, because it's a great reference tool overall, just is a bit shaky in some places).

I don't have the time at the moment to do that myself...but cross-referencing photos shouldn't take long.....
I fully agree with your theory and will look up some Pierret horns. I will keep you posted.

S

·
0 Posts
I have a lovely silver plated Maurice Boiste Alto I bought to learn with. It's lightly used, the silver is in exceedingly good condition and it has mother of pearl keypads. The serial No is H5279. I bought it here in Scotland some 5 years or so ago and I have searched for ages to find anything about it.......to date only the hint of it being a stencil has come to light. I even visited the Museum of Music in Paris but they seemed very uninterested.....phew!!
Anyway, I shall sort some photo's out and post them here...

Cheers, Barrie

1 - 20 of 40 Posts