Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1,332 Posts
In what way? How does one make the comparison here? Are we supposed to know what the Antigua Peter Ponzol Pro One is? I for one have never heard of it. But I have heard of P. Mauriat.

·
Registered
652 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
In what way? How does one make the comparison here? Are we supposed to know what the Antigua Peter Ponzol Pro One is? I for one have never heard of it. But I have heard of P. Mauriat.
My apologies, when I wrote that I did so knowing that it would be seen by some of the players and members who also enjoy the Antigua thread and are current on their lineup. I think that there's no question that Antigua and Ponzol inspired Mauriat to take a look at mixed tone holes, and to have a go at it. P. Mauriat may be able to cherry pick ideas and improve on them by adding them to the stack instead of the original concept of the lower keys.. (There is, of course, the difference b/w Mauriat rolled -vs- Antigua hybrid rolled).

I believe that quite a few players have seen the Pro One reviews over the years, especially the Dave Kessler write up in 2011 https://www.kesslerandsons.com/blog/antigua-pro-one-saxophones-review/

You may be new to Antigua products or to playing saxophones, and that's fine. The Pro One is gaining traction among Antigua fans, along with the 25 UL . This is Ponzol discussing- https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ir__KqxLdH0&t=27s

All of that said, I actually prefer the Power Bell over the Pro One. Comparing it with my System 76 2nd, I find the Pro One to be dark and the System 76 to be much more "dry" than the Power Bell. The Antigua/Ponzol no-stick G # is brilliant though.

·
Banned
2,844 Posts
I have a Pro One soprano. It is one of the best I have played. My Yamaha 62 is the best one. I also own a couple PM tenors. I would really like to play a Pro One tenor. I consider the PM 66r the top Taiwan horn that I have played and I have played most of them.

·
Registered
5,241 Posts
In what way? How does one make the comparison here? Are we supposed to know what the Antigua Peter Ponzol Pro One is?
Yes. :)

This IS the Antigua subforum, after all. This is the company's top horn. Look at the index here. You can't miss all the Pro One threads. It's been the most popular Antigua-related topic for years.

·
Registered
652 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Yes. :)

This IS the Antigua subforum, after all. This is the company's top horn. Look at the index here. You can't miss all the Pro One threads. It's been the most popular Antigua-related topic for years.
+10. Agreed. Heck of a lot of horn at any price. Antigua truly spotlighted mixed tone holes on a fantastic professional saxophone. Ten years before P. Mauriat.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts