Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
8,030 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've heard their three digit serial numbered saxes play better than the newer ones (four digit). Is this true and does anyone have a list?

·
Registered
Tenor: Eastman 52nd St, Alto: P. Mauriat 67RDK, Soprano: Eastern Music Curvy
4,792 Posts
I heard it was anything starting or ending with the numbers 2-7, all the others are awful...

·
Registered
128 Posts
Being that ive worked in the car business in the past. wouldnt a production date (like on a car) be better than a serial?? like for example. the month and year + the sequence of that horn in that month.. example? 07/10 (25) and maybe a serial next to that.. ?? that way there wont be a question as to when a horn was made...

·
Registered
88 Posts
You heard wrong! P. Mauriats are not junk! Certainly there are some that are better than others and some that need more set-up out of the box but there are several particular models that are exceptionally good like the 66r, the 66R UL Tenor and my particular new favorite, the new System 76UL. The new System 76UL is a beautiful looking instrument it has a very unique finish that is like a dark bronze and copper mix.
Looks aside, this sax is very well made and plays beautifully. Warm, mature depth of sound and the intonation is pretty spot on. I have heard that this sax is manufactured at Mauriat's new factory in Taiwan. Get your hands on one, try it, and, you will be impressed.

·
Registered
2,337 Posts
They are not junk! You just don't know! Try one out before you knock it!
I know they are not junk, irony... Honestly, the P.mauriats are great horns especially the 66R series I think. I really would like to try the new 76UL as well as a 86UL that is now available in gold finish on sax.co.uk! I tried the 86UL at musikmesse 2010 but was not impressed. Played pretty unresponsive. Someone told me it had leaks so that might be the reason back then.

·
Grafton alto | Martin Comm III tenor
28,922 Posts
I I really would like to try the new 76UL .
You should do, it's a great horn, especially with the new magnum neck.

Funny, I had presumed this thread was sort of tongue in cheek.

·
Distinguished SOTW Coffee Guru
38,865 Posts
Funny, I had presumed this thread was sort of tongue in cheek.
Naahhhh! It will turn into just another bashing thread........nothing new under the sun!

This brand has a 11 years history to-date. In the first part of its history they marketed horns made by others, in the last 3 years they have made their own by buying the factory which was making their horns.

·
Forum Contributor 2015-2017, Distinguished SOTW me
3,426 Posts
On a serious note, does anyone know where i can find serial numbers. Bought new alto from Tim Gleeson when they first came out, a year or so after. Need history. serail begins with N7.... five numbers and the N.
Still wrapped in the orginal Mauriat cloth bag with minor scuffs on case. May be 66r. for sale after i know model #

·
Registered
652 Posts
"Serail numbers"????? I can't speak on "serail numbers" but I can say that the best Selmer Mark VI I've ever played is the P. Mauriat System 76 2nd Edition. The 2nd best Mark VI I've ever played is a tie between the Tenor Madness TM Custom and a Selmer Mark VI. The Mauriat 76 rules that group though.

·
Distinguished SOTW Coffee Guru
38,865 Posts
Derail numbers? Serious numbers?

the best are those with the first three digits 666

“ The devil’s horn”

1 - 20 of 21 Posts