Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've been playing baritone for over 20 years, so I'm no stranger to it (my primary horn). My baritones of choice for the past 15 years have been Conn 12m's.

Two weeks ago I got a Mauriat PMB-302. I love how it plays, the action, response, feel, look, etc. However, I'm having trouble getting the thing to play in tune. It is in tune with itself just fine, but overall the sax is flat. I can't see the neck cork anymore, and I'm still registering 10-20 cents flat on the tuner.

Has anyone else had this problem? Is it a known issue wth the Mauriats? Did I get a dud/lemon?

I've got two weeks left in my return period. If it's something I'm doing wrong, I'd love to know. My MP setup hasn't changed: Aaron Drake Contemporary Rollover baffle .120", Fibracell #4 reed, rover light lig. I've been on this setup for 2.5 yrs.

I figured it was probably due to me playing vintage baritones for so long, and that it would get better over time. But I haven't played the 12m in two weeks, and I've been playing the Mauriat every day...no improvement.

Frustrating!

·
Registered
864 Posts
I played Mauriat horns for a good stretch from 2007-2009. Loved the sound, but man, pitch was more challenging on those horns than ANY others I've played, new or vintage. Even my King Super 20 bari was more manageable.

·
Registered
3,769 Posts
I don't have a Mauriat bari but I do have a Barone Low Bb bari that has many of the same characteristics. My understanding is that all the Taiwanese baris come from just 2 or 3 factories so many of them are very similar. My horn tends a little flat as well and is much easier to play in tune with the higher baffled Jody Jazz DV than my Jody Jazz DVNY. I'm not surprised the Drake plays a little flat. Some folks have had a 1/2 inch cut off their necks to help with this - though that seems somewhat extreme to me. If you have a piece with more baffle, or can just use a little putty to increase the baffle in your Drake temporarily, try that and see if the tuning improves. I realize this may not be the ideal solution in the long run but it will give you a little more info.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
6,831 Posts
Funny, because my TaiShan chinese bari is so in tune its easy and fun to play!

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
So, I've done some extensive testing on this thing, and the results are not looking good.

I played it with my SS Berg (120/0), and my HR Berg (100/1)...same results.

I've had 5 other pros play this horn with their mouthpieces (Selmer S90, Link, Berg, etc.). Nobody has yet been able to play this horn in tune! Everyone is 20-50 cents flat!

Key height does not appear to be an issue according to my tech. The only thing I'm left to assume (if the horn isn't bad) is that I have a bad neck. I can see some tooling marks on the inside on the MP end...not sure if that's normal for a factory-fresh horn.

Since I got the horn from Amazon, I'm going to call a Mauriat dealer and see what they suggest. I'd really love to be able to keep this horn AND be able to use it!

·
Registered
1,215 Posts
Sounds like a replacement neck will solve the issue! :bluewink:

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2007-
7,187 Posts
Get rid of it ASAP. Then look for a used 901 or serie iii.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
6,831 Posts
Get rid of it ASAP. Then look for a used 901 or serie iii.
I agree to get rid of it. You got a lemon! My cheap $1500 Chinese TaiShan Bari has no intonation problems. Most Mauriats don't either. Lemons slip through with every brand and manufacturer though, regardless of cost and quality.

·
Registered
1,667 Posts
I've been playing baritone for over 20 years, so I'm no stranger to it (my primary horn). My baritones of choice for the past 15 years have been Conn 12m's.

Two weeks ago I got a Mauriat PMB-302. I love how it plays, the action, response, feel, look, etc. However, I'm having trouble getting the thing to play in tune. It is in tune with itself just fine, but overall the sax is flat. I can't see the neck cork anymore, and I'm still registering 10-20 cents flat on the tuner.

Has anyone else had this problem? Is it a known issue wth the Mauriats? Did I get a dud/lemon?

I've got two weeks left in my return period. If it's something I'm doing wrong, I'd love to know. My MP setup hasn't changed: Aaron Drake Contemporary Rollover baffle .120", Fibracell #4 reed, rover light lig. I've been on this setup for 2.5 yrs.

I figured it was probably due to me playing vintage baritones for so long, and that it would get better over time. But I haven't played the 12m in two weeks, and I've been playing the Mauriat every day...no improvement.

Frustrating!
Have them send a call tag and do not pay a restocking fee. You got a dog send it back. Don't give up on them if you like the brand. They should take care of you. There are many many in tune baris coming from the factory they use.. You got a bad one. I bet the next one will be on the money.. My 2 cents...

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Thanks for all the input/feedback!

I sent the horn back a couple of days ago. My hope was to use my refund to buy an open box scratch/dent model PMB-302UL that was available from another online retailer. Alas, I still have not received my refund from Amazon, and the other horn is no longer available.

This sucks! Oh well, I've been patient for ~7yrs now, I guess I can wait longer.

·
Registered
9 Posts
The advertising say that the PMB 302 is made in France, not Taiwan. Is that wrong? I looked into this forum to see who made the horn for them in France and am surprised to see all these comments stating it is made in Taiwan. Can anyone who actually has a pmb 302 verify the country of manufacture? Thanks!!!

·
Grafton alto | Martin Comm III tenor
29,144 Posts
The advertising say that the PMB 302 is made in France, not Taiwan. Is that wrong?
Nowhere do P.Mauriat state that their instruments are made in France. I know, people get misled because I think it mentions Paris on the bell - they did have an office in Paris I think once upon a time.

·
Registered
957 Posts
I have a Barone baritone. I play a Drake Contemporary Crossover (not sure if it is the Crossover I or II) on it and I am all the way in on the cork to the point where I cannot see anything but a sliver of the cork in order to play in tune. I have heard that many Taiwanese baris play flat unless you are all the way in on the cork. The horn is a fun player but I was surprised at how far in I had to push.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2007-
7,187 Posts
Sounds like the same issue as the original poster. There is nothing wrong with pushing on your mouthpiece as far as it will go as a lot of soprano players can attest. But if you get an a situation where the whole band is sharp from A440, You could be in trouble.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2016
18,174 Posts
Not quite understanding why this thread got revived, as the post which revived it wasn't addressing the OP's subject (?) but asking a different Q....

But anyways, for the sake of posterity:

If an entire horn is playing flat up and down, but in tune 'with itself'....and the idea of pushing in all the way is not copasetic for you...the likelihood is a tech could open the key heights a tad which would result in the horn playing 'sharper'....unless the keyheights are very high already, in which case perhaps it'd do nothing and yes - in fact, the horn came out of factory being flat, which'd s#ck.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Nowhere do P.Mauriat state that their instruments are made in France. I know, people get misled because I think it mentions Paris on the bell - they did have an office in Paris I think once upon a time.
This is copied and pasted from the Woodwind and Brasswind website wwbw.com listing for the P Mauriat PMB 302:

FEATURES
Great clarity and projection
Light and easy to maneuver
Handcrafted in France
Beautiful available finishes
Great soloing voice
Fat bottom end

1 - 20 of 29 Posts