Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
550 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Any adults on this forum decides to take music exams for saxophones (e.g. Royal School of Music)? Do you think it is worthy or regrettable? I think I am at the junction now......

·
Registered
1,293 Posts
Absolutely terrifying! By way of contrast, a 17 year old I knew felt sorry for the examiner when she took her grade 7 clarinet exam, and decided to put on a show for him. The confidence of youth.

Good luck with your's.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Depends on what you're looking ot get out of them, for me its provided focused lessons and achievable goals. if I had not started with grades I don't think I would of bothered with the important basics that the grades cover like scales sight reading and aural, instead I would have just noodled around making noises and not making progress I just needed this kind of structure to get me going so that I was practicing properly.

I took the ABRSM grade 3 alto sax exam in March and passed with distinction and very glad that I did it. It may not stand for a lot "grade 3" but its meant something to me, and is only just the beginning in my sax playing journey next step is grade 5 (that is after I get my flute up to some sort of reasonable playing standard!!).

·
Registered
550 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Sacrilicious said:
Depends on what you're looking ot get out of them, for me its provided focused lessons and achievable goals. if I had not started with grades I don't think I would of bothered with the important basics that the grades cover like scales sight reading and aural, instead I would have just noodled around making noises and not making progress I just needed this kind of structure to get me going so that I was practicing properly.

I took the ABRSM grade 3 alto sax exam in March and passed with distinction and very glad that I did it. It may not stand for a lot "grade 3" but its meant something to me, and is only just the beginning in my sax playing journey next step is grade 5 (that is after I get my flute up to some sort of reasonable playing standard!!).
Sacrilicious,

I concur with your views totally. I guess I will try the Grade 3 Royal School of Music exam. Thanks.

·
Registered
550 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Which exams?

Trinity and Guildhall or ABRSM?

Someone told me Trinity offers jazz saxophone exams up to grade 8 whilst ABRSM's is up to grade 5 only.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, & Forum Contributor 200
1,447 Posts
PPamhk

I would definatley recommend taking the trinity/guildhall jazz grades if you have the opportunity to with a teacher. It will really give you a structured way to learn and give you the peace of mind that you are in the right direction.

I teach the jazz grades and was taught by the co writer of them Malcolm Miles....go for it.

What does it mean to have jazz grade 8 ? Not a lot , and if anything I think it is a tad easy, but you'll come out the other end well equiped

·
Registered
550 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
davesaxa1 said:
PPamhk

I would definatley recommend taking the trinity/guildhall jazz grades if you have the opportunity to with a teacher. It will really give you a structured way to learn and give you the peace of mind that you are in the right direction.

I teach the jazz grades and was taught by the co writer of them Malcolm Miles....go for it.

What does it mean to have jazz grade 8 ? Not a lot , and if anything I think it is a tad easy, but you'll come out the other end well equiped
Hi Davesaxa1:

Thanks a lot for the encourgement. I will discuss it with my tutor soon.

·
Registered
28 Posts
I suggest to take the exams. They tell you were you are. They give you a goal, a realistic one, to reach. They make you learn perfectly some pieces. Speak with your teatcher, and select what you want on the list (if there is a list) of tunes to play. Plus it makes you feel young!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts