Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2007-
7,134 Posts
A very enjoyable read. I’m thinking about buying his upcoming book.

·
SOTW Columnist, Distinguished SOTW Member
23,024 Posts
That was a great interview. Very insightful and articulate. I have to say I agree with pretty much everything he says. Somewhat to my surprise, actually. He seems to have the exact same taste in music as I do, right down to his opinions on all those great players.

I really like what he said here:

"The lesson for me was always go hear the masters. Doesn’t matter if you’ve had a bad day, if you have to get up early the next day, or the money’s tight. Just go, because you never know."

That was basically my philosophy way back during the '70s, when I was in my 20s and going to every jazz performance I could in the Bay Area at the time. When the jazz station one afternoon announced that Duke Ellington would be at the Great American Music Hall that evening I thought man, this might be my last chance to see him, so I went. He died within a year after that. Ironically the quote above was in reference to missing seeing Roland Kirk playing live, yet Matt still found him to be amazing player from his recordings. I was lucky enough to see Kirk live several times and I've always said you HAD to hear him live to fully appreciate him; the records don't come close. So Matt was right; he missed out there.

Anyway thanks for posting that interview. Think I'll check out his book.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts