Sax on the Web Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I expect some have seen Matt's announcement on his YouTube channel - sharing here to let the Saxontheweb community know. It's obviously a deeply personal decision for him but I hope he'll resume his work at some level of involvement at some point in the future. But meanwhile, I'm sure we all wish him the best of luck!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v-wPhWnrmHI

·
Registered
1,805 Posts
Everyone needs a break. It's rare for anyone to not take a break and keep going at the rate he does. I don't think he'll lose the love, but have more excitement every time he repairs a saxophone from this point on.

·
Registered
3,121 Posts
Tarnishing, heh. I applaud Matt for knowing when to take a break and being able to act on it. In fact, I've decided to follow his lead and take a sabbatical in the new year. Life's too short not to break free once in a while.

·
Registered
1,698 Posts
I'm sure a lot of us can relate to working hard enough in a field to burnout, either somewhat or fully. I know the older I get the more I value life/work balance. Glad to hear Matt is still planning on doing the occasional video as I have taken in an insane amount of knowledge from watching his videos over the years.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
1,906 Posts
Everyone needs a break. It's rare for anyone to not take a break and keep going at the rate he does. [ . . . ]
Rate + intensity. It can be hard finding a balance, which I think he has struggled with at bit. After all he’s the guy who installed a time-clock in his shop, the kind that goes “thunk” every few minutes, to remind him that (alas) time = money.

I'm sure a lot of us can relate to working hard enough in a field to burnout, either somewhat or fully. [ . . . ]
Yep. I wish him well. He’s lucky he can step back for a while. Also, Matt seems like a natural educator so “sabbatical” is a good word.

·
Registered
134 Posts
I'm sure a lot of us can relate to working hard enough in a field to burnout, either somewhat or fully. I know the older I get the more I value life/work balance. Glad to hear Matt is still planning on doing the occasional video as I have taken in an insane amount of knowledge from watching his videos over the years.
I agree and I’m a great fan of his videos. I probably see one almost every day and many of them several times. Very, very educational!

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
13,515 Posts
That is smart and I hope its only a break.

Constant work and attention to detail takes its toll. You have to have a life.

From guys I know there are rarely breaks built into the repair business whereas after 15 years I know when there are likely to be significant lulls in business. I can take advantage of those and kick back for a while. I used to get anxious when things got slow. Now I just wait and a few weeks later its like someone opened the gates of a dam and in flows the work.

As we have witnessed with various craftsmen in the business a lot dont know when to say uncle and their reputation suffers.

Insight and good judgment keeps customers happy, craftsmen productive, and quality at its highest level.

Also sometimes people have personal and family issues that require a break. For me, I have found that work is the best medicine for that...I can bury myself in mouthpiece dust and forget the outside world...its kind of zen. For some its a distraction that lowers quality. IMHO the most important mantra for a craftsman is to "Know thyself" and then act accordingly. You have to know and consciously decide when its not to the right time to sit at the bench. Take a day off..maybe more and get your head together.

All work and no play....

·
Registered
8,367 Posts
Just when I was going to get a $2000 overhaul on my sax....
It’s good he’s busy enough. Maybe an apprentice would be a good idea.

·
Distinguished Technician & SOTW Columnist. RIP, Yo
17,204 Posts
IMO an apprentice is extremely time intensive, and also very high risk of not being of sufficient aptitude for top quality work in this field.

·
SOTW Columnist and Forum Contributor 2015-2016
3,905 Posts
It's the eternal struggle of good repair techs. They're always overwhelmed with work and need help. But they don't have the time to train anyone. But since they don't train anyone, they'll never have help.

I think at one point Matt did consider an apprentice. I cant remember. But as Gordon said, the time it takes alone just to train someone to be even remotely decent sucks. And then you have to check their work constantly which interrupts your work.

Hoping Matt finds happiness and success in his new venture.

- Saxaholic

1 - 11 of 11 Posts