Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
297 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recently picked up my YTS61 after an overhaul from Matt Stohrer. I bought this horn used from a pawn shop about 22+ years ago and had it overhauled at a large music store in Houston, Texas; at the time a primo shop used by musicians from all over the country. They did a beautiful job and I've loved this horn ever since. This sax has seen TONS of use. Over time, I've had lots of small adjustments done and a pad replaced here and there. But in recent years it had developed a pretty bad case of "key slop" and was too loose and leaky to get good tone all up and down the horn. I had almost stopped playing it completely and my Keilwerth SX90R became my primary instrument.

To keep it brief and to the point, Matt Stohrer resurrected this horn. I mean he brought it back to life! I sincerely believe the horn is more playable and more delightful to play than it was when I first got it back from the shop 22+ years ago (and I thought it was AMAZING then). The action is solid and incredibly responsive. Intonation is spot-on. I can "whisper" on the low end and crack glass on the high end with an ease I have never experienced with this horn. I'm in my sixties now and will probably be playing this horn until I show up for the Last Big Gig.

Matt Stohrer is a technician par excellence. This young man knows saxophones and now works solely on saxes. He is also a talented player and gets what a player wants from a horn. He spent time with me talking about the horn, my style of playing, particular issues I was having with the horn, and the sound I'm going for when I pick up a sax. He delivered big time on everything we discussed. Matt Stohrer is also a delightful human being, a good listener, an astute and honest business person, and just an all around good guy. I would strongly recommend him to anyone who wants work done on a sax. He is the ONLY tech I'll be using to work on my horns.

Matt now has my Keilwerth SX90R tenor and I can't wait to see, feel, and hear what he will do with it. Thanks, Matt! And thanks to SOTW for making it possible to connect with this outstanding technician.

Gotta run. I've got music to play!

·
Forum Contributor 2007-2012, Distinguished SOTW Te
3,314 Posts
Soul Patch Paul, thank you so much for your kind words!

That is quite a nice sounding 61 tenor you've got there, and I'm very happy to hear how much you like it. Taking a horn and making it play the best it ever has played is my goal, and I'm glad that goal was met on your Yamaha.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts