Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
6,862 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I absolutely love Matt's lessons...anybody else using them regularly?

www.mattotto.org

Right now I'm focusing on #45 the Bird lick over iim7/V7, and #20, the V/I resolutions with minor 3rds and 2nds.

So cool!

·
Banned
492 Posts
Yeah,... I've been doing them for a couple months now. Got turned on to them by my tenor friend at school last year. Matt can get a bit esoteric at times, but his exercises are a lot of fun. And the more I learn at school the more sense he starts to make. Some of the exercises are familiar, but a lot of them are a refreshing angle to stuff I've been introduced to already.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
3,695 Posts
Thanks for the plug rleitch - interesting to find out ear training and playing melodies in 12 keys is esoteric ;)
Sometimes it takes many years to realize the importance of something that has been repeated to you, probably to the point of ignoring it, till you have the understanding to listen...

+1 to your lessons...

·
Banned
492 Posts
Sometimes it takes many years to realize the importance of something that has been repeated to you, probably to the point of ignoring it, till you have the understanding to listen...

+1 to your lessons...
You know what Turnaround, I think you said it better than I did. I think all I did was to shine a light on me as someone being around skyscrapers and neon signs for the first time in life with the use of the word 'esoteric',... or worse! Bad choice and way south of what I was really tryin' to say. Please accept my apology Mr. Otto. It was easy falling into describing the verbal and written stuff as lofty, only because I couldn't understand some of it. But like I said in my post, the more I learned in school, the more Matt's words made sense. Sometimes it even flowed in the other direction,... where Matt's words helped me make a lot of sense of what I ran across in school some months back. Especially when it came to scale stuff. Bottom line, all of the exercises I've played around with so far have been fun, informative and challenging. Only a few left me scratching my head with one hand and you know what with the other. But I bet if I go back and revisit them,.... You know what, that's what I think I'll do before a say anything else.

Again,... apologies Mr. Otto if I came off like as ungrateful.

Jr.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2011-
1,036 Posts
You know what Turnaround, I think you said it better than I did. I think all I did was to shine a light on me as someone being around skyscrapers and neon signs for the first time in life with the use of the word 'esoteric',... or worse! Bad choice and way south of what I was really tryin' to say. Please accept my apology Mr. Otto. It was easy falling into describing the verbal and written stuff as lofty, only because I couldn't understand some of it. But like I said in my post, the more I learned in school, the more Matt's words made sense. Sometimes it even flowed in the other direction,... where Matt's words helped me make a lot of sense of what I ran across in school some months back. Especially when it came to scale stuff. Bottom line, all of the exercises I've played around with so far have been fun, informative and challenging. Only a few left me scratching my head with one hand and you know what with the other. But I bet if I go back and revisit them,.... You know what, that's what I think I'll do before a say anything else.

Again,... apologies Mr. Otto if I came off like as ungrateful.

Jr.
No offence taken at all! I'm glad you like the material - I enjoy doing those lessons, it gives me somthing to write/memorize and play on my days off and it's great if people can find some value in them...

1 - 8 of 8 Posts