Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
256 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well when one problem that I have that I left out my other post, is that when it comes to improvising I always tend to go back to the main key of the song (key signature). I need to find some way to be able to hear different chords and just play over the different chords structures without relying on the key of the melody. for those who can improv over different chords what did you do or material did you use to that allowed things to click for you in becoming a better improviser.

Right now I haven't been able to practice as much as I want to (at this point almost non existent). When I do practice I use Improvising with Jazz vol 1 from Jamey Abersold. Also still trying to learn Confirmation by yardbird and listening to different songs by ear from artists such as Kim waters, Gerald Albright and Kirk Whalum.

·
Grafton alto | Martin Comm III tenor
28,888 Posts
Mainly you need to study a bit of harmony and analyse the tunes so you can work out the key centres. Once you know the keys centres, you just think of that as the key you are in.

·
SOTW Columnist, Distinguished SOTW Member
23,006 Posts
Also, there is nothing wrong with being aware of the key the song is in. That's very important, even when you are playing through the chords.

By the way, if you are a relative beginner at improvisation, "Confirmation" is probably not the best tune to start with! I made that mistake early on. It's a great tune of course, but pretty challenging, imo.

·
Banned
3,665 Posts
Also, there is nothing wrong with being aware of the key the song is in. That's very important, even when you are playing through the chords.

By the way, if you are a relative beginner at improvisation, "Confirmation" is probably not the best tune to start with! I made that mistake early on. It's a great tune of course, but pretty challenging, imo.
+1 to that.

FWIW, I'd pick a short form tune, like SOLAR maybe, as a starting point. That may provide more clarity and focus for research.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts